Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: AIX upgrade with DB2 7.1

We are planning an upgrade to our Operating System from AIX 4.3.3.0 to AIX 5.2L 64 bit. Running DB2 UDB 7.1+FP6. Any concerns I should be aware of? Thanks.

Scott

Re: AIX upgrade with DB2 7.1

In my current environment we have AIX 4.3 , then 5 - 32 bit and 64 bit (though we use the 32 bit version).... Till now have not known anything specific to be done because of the OS difference ..

HTH

Sathyaram

Originally posted by mixxalot
    We are planning an upgrade to our Operating System from AIX 4.3.3.0 to AIX 5.2L 64 bit. Running DB2 UDB 7.1+FP6. Any concerns I should be aware of? Thanks.

Scott
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Thanks

I guess then I have nothing to worry about. We probably will need to shut down DB2 instance and DAS before the upgrade correct? Thanks

Ben

followup

So I can just shutdown the DB2 admin instance (DAS) and db2 instance and the unix guy can upgrade the AIX operating system right? Thanks

Scott

Re: followup

That's what I'd assume ...

But, to be on safe side, I'll have a full offline backup or atleast an online backup of the database before anything is done to the server ..

Cheers

Sathyaram

So I can just shutdown the DB2 admin instance (DAS) and db2 instance and the unix guy can upgrade the AIX operating system right? Thanks

Scott
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

We have been doing this on all of our aix systems and havn't run into any problems. Just be aware that its is a new DB2 executables. You can get the ones for 4.3 to work but its not recommended.

Please can you elaborate ? Thanks ...

Just be aware that its is a new DB2 executables. You can get the ones for 4.3 to work but its not recommended.

Sathyaram

If you upgrade AIX you must re-install DB2. The executables are different, You cannot install the db2 7.x version for aix 4.3 on AIX 5.x it will not allow it and IBM doesnot recommend using the same executables. The steps we have been taking are listed below (high level)
    We have been backuping up the systems, installing AIX 5.x, Installing DB2, then creating the database and re-storing. We have tried uninstalling db2 then reinstalling and recataloging the database but it didn't always work.

Think of it like you cannot install the db2 version for HP on AIX and vice versa, not you cannot install the db2 version for 4.3 on 5.1 and vise versa. According to IBM, there are no changes that would effect or change the functionality of the operation of the database

nothing mentioned in IBM DB2 docs about this

Thanks for the update now I am worried. I thought that if you have DB2 UDB 7.2 with FP6 installed that it will be compatible with a newer version of AIX. Now if they use AIX 5.2L 32 bit for the upgrade will this be compatible with DB2 7.2 FP6 32 bit? I will see if I can convince them to upgrade to 32 bit AIX first to avoid complications. Thanks

Scott

Angry Re: nothing mentioned in IBM DB2 docs about this

According to IBM DB2 7.x for 4.3 at FP6 would be exactly the same aix 5.x for DB2 7.x FP6. They do have seperate Fixpak for each AIX verisions. We have moved over 75 servers to AIX 5.x and went through the procedure for the conversions. We are confident that there are no problems introduced as we have been running some boxes over 8 months now. We are upgrading all of our prod systems this month to 5.x. You can restore a AIX 4.3 version of DB2 7.x(any fixpak level) to a to a AIX 5.x DB2 7.x version with no problems. I wouldn't worry about if there are any changes to the functionality of the DB itself. We have been assured by IBM that there is no functionality changes between the 2 version that are there for AIX and we have not seen any. And we have well over 125 instances.

If you are talking about upgrading to 64 bit db2, I would do it after the AIX upgrade. We have done it both ways, but for a scheduling standpoint, it was always easier to do it afterword. We have also re-installed 64 bit instances for AIX 4.3 to 5.x and had no problems either.

thanks

Good feedback folks, I was starting to freak out earlier ya know DBAs are paranoid but feel better. I think we should be ok as we are upgrading the O/S first on dev before qa and production to be safe. In anycase I will take a full offline backup before we upgrade the O/S just to be on the safe side.

-Scott

Scott
    We had some problems. I'm assuming you want to remain at fix6. We upgraded 4.3.3 to 5.2 and DB2 7.2 to fix9. We had problems with jdbc driver 2 use. So test all your java apps. before the migration. I also heard that there is a disk lock problem with fix9.

Kota ... Can you please elaborate on what disk lock problem is ?

Are there any specific problems with JDBC Apps in FP9 ...

Thanks for your time

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by Kota
    We had some problems. I'm assuming you want to remain at fix6. We upgraded 4.3.3 to 5.2 and DB2 7.2 to fix9. We had problems with jdbc driver 2 use. So test all your java apps. before the migration. I also heard that there is a disk lock problem with fix9.

Sathyaram, I'm not exactly sure about the disk lock problem. A coworker who spoke to DB2 support told me. I guess that causes lock contentions.
    Regarding the JDBC apps, I experienced this and am presently working with DB2 support to get this fixed. With JDBC driver 2, my stored procedures are failing only when using fixpak 9. They work fine with JDBC1. They throw 4301N or 4304N (not consistent) with driver 2. Remember according to the documentation, you need minimum of JDK 1.2 to use jdbc driver 2 on AIX5L/DB2 7.2. Will update you after getting my problem fixed.

thanks ...
    Srini Kota

For your information, Fix9 does not support JDK 1.1.8 and 1.3. The only option you have is 1.2.2. Also, unlike the previous versions, you have to explicitly specify the JDK path in addition to .profile

As you all know, basic requirement is to set the PATH(in the .profile of the instance) to point to the install directory of java 1.2.2 and its binaries. The classpath needs to have sqlj.zip,runtime.zip,db2java.zip as per your requirement(JDBC apps/SQLJ).
    Update the dbm cfg JDK11_PATH to jdk1.2.2 install directory. eg: /usr/java_dev2.
    Finally set the registry variable DB2_USE_JDK12 to 1.

If you are using a netdriver(type 3), you need to replace the client copy of db2java.zip with the server copy.

Hope this helps...