Thread: Encrypt a field

Unanswered: Encrypt a field

Hi all,

Is there a method that we can encrypt a field of a table.Say,the password feild if we do not want it to be shown.I thiink in SQL Server there is a option to set this as password type,so we can only see **** no matter what we enter (not sure whether in SQL Server or Access).

Can this be done.It would be great if anyone could share their knowledge.

Mickykt

Cool

You could try using a combination of triggers and the DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT supplied by Oracle.

Cool

You could try using a combination of triggers and the DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT supplied by Oracle:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...s_obf.htm#6518

Cool

You could try using a combination of triggers and the DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT supplied by Oracle:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...s_obf.htm#6518

Now that I can post - I've been wanting to reply to this for ages. DBMS_OBFUSCATION is good, but any paswords will go 'across the wire' in plain text if you choose this route.

It is probably one of the few areas of Oracle (or any DB) where doing it client side is safer (ie client side encryption).

Any client side SQL logging (or server side - V$SqlArea) will show plain text passwords if it's handled server side. You can also run packet sniffers if you've really got the time. Safest way is to encrypt on the client - before it goes down the wire.

I'm pretty sure it's possible to configure Oracle for encrypted comms on the wire (client and server side) - but I think that's moving into general IP security, not Oracle.

Hth
    Bill