Unanswered: One Backup for 2 databases

Hi ,

This is not urgent but out of curiosity.

Suppose i have 2 databases say ,both are named "test" on 2 different m/c with same OS.

If i take a backup of one database,can i use this to restore the other database provided they are having exactly the same data( not replicated).

Will there be any problem.

I also have thi doubt if the OS is different say WIN2K and Solaris will this be possible.

Is there a methond in the latest 9.0.2 version of Oracle.

Please contribute part of ur knowledge.

mickykt

Since your two databases are on the same OS you can 'clone' one database from the other. If you do a shutdown normal for your backups then you just need to copy all the database files, the online redo logs and the control files. All directory paths will need to be the same. The block size and character set in your init.ora need to be the same.

Going between operating systems isn't going to work so well because the file systems will change. You'll have to use export/import.

Thumbs up Re: One Backup for 2 databases

Originally posted by mickykt
    Hi ,

This is not urgent but out of curiosity.

Suppose i have 2 databases say ,both are named "test" on 2 different m/c with same OS.

If i take a backup of one database,can i use this to restore the other database provided they are having exactly the same data( not replicated).

Will there be any problem.

I also have thi doubt if the OS is different say WIN2K and Solaris will this be possible.

Is there a methond in the latest 9.0.2 version of Oracle.

Please contribute part of ur knowledge.

mickykt
    If you have the same OS on the both machines and the Oracle version is the same, you need either cold or hot backup. Then follow this procedure: Click Here

If the OS are different - the only way is to use export/import to clone the database.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
    OCP - DBA
    Visit our Web Site