Unanswered: Connect to Access without ODBC

I want to make a connection to a MS-ACCES database without an JDBC-ODBC bridge to make my application more portable, but I don't know where to get a free JDBC driver.

Thank U

Hi

I'm not quite sure I understand this. Are you looking for a pure JDBC driver that will connect you directly to Access without going over a JDBC bridge. If so, I'm not sure there are possibilities out there that might assist you as typically, only the database vendor can provide pure JDBC connectivity to its own database. As far as I can tell, you will still need a JDBC driver. Why not use the Sun JDBC-ODBC bridge as typically Access ships a free ODBC driver

HTH
    Emmon Simbo
    OpenLink Software

I'm not quite sure I understand this. Are you looking for a pure JDBC driver that will connect you directly to Access without going over a JDBC bridge.

--> Reply :

Yes, I was trying to make an application to connect directly to an access database without having to configure the ODBC source each time I take the application to another PC.

I'll try to use the Sun JDBC-ODBC bridge that you told me about, but
    I still have a question Is it possible to configure de bridge by code ? I mean, write a java function witch detects that theres no JDBC-ODBC source configurated and configure it by itself.

Thanks you

Hi

>>Yes, I was trying to make an application to connect directly to an >>access database without having to configure the ODBC source each >>.time I take the application to another PC.

Unfortunately, that's the problem with Access as its a file so you might cannot configure it dynamically.

>>I'll try to use the Sun JDBC-ODBC bridge that you told me about, but
    >>I still have a question Is it possible to configure de bridge by code ? >>I mean, write a java function witch detects that theres no JDBC->>ODBC source configurated and configure it by itself

For this one, I don't believe so. I'm no expert with JAVA so couldn't tell you for sure but maybe someone else might have the answer to that one