Unanswered: C compiler for DB2 procedures?

I am working with Oracle, Sybase, MSSQLserver and now I had to work with DB2 and boy what a news I came accross .. DB2 needs C compiler just to be able to write procedures .. I still can't believe it. Don't think any other major database out there has such a restriction/requirement.
    I tried downloading gcc for windows but I am so far unable to have db2 compile the procedures.
    last error I got was 'as.exe - Entry point not found : The procedure entry point asprintf could not be located in the dynamic link library cygwin1.dll'

and yes I set up all the variables as directed by the document on IBM site on how to setup gcc on windows.

anyone any ideas about this ?

Re: C compiler for DB2 procedures?

Hi,

this restriction is gone I think with version 7.2 (I am not sure) but definitely with V8. The reason for the C compiler is that DB2 under cover generates C code. Traditionally DB2 supported C and Java stored procedures, SPL was added in Version 6 i think to make migrations easier. So you might complain about usability - but never about performance.

The easiest setup is done with the MS C compiler, but I got also gnu working before. the old IBM C compiler was troublesome ...
    If you try the Stored procedure builder it generates the code and if you check the files you can find which files might not have been linked successfully or need to be updated with the path for your compiler.

Juliane

Originally posted by aliyesami
    I am working with Oracle, Sybase, MSSQLserver and now I had to work with DB2 and boy what a news I came accross .. DB2 needs C compiler just to be able to write procedures .. I still can't believe it. Don't think any other major database out there has such a restriction/requirement.
    I tried downloading gcc for windows but I am so far unable to have db2 compile the procedures.
    last error I got was 'as.exe - Entry point not found : The procedure entry point asprintf could not be located in the dynamic link library cygwin1.dll'

and yes I set up all the variables as directed by the document on IBM site on how to setup gcc on windows.

anyone any ideas about this ?

Re: C compiler for DB2 procedures?

no its not true , I am using V8.1 and it does require C compiler , I can see its generating .C files and then trying to compile it. Plus I have confirmation from IBM tech support staff who tried to help me install gcc for it.