Thread: Rust

Angry Unanswered: Rust

I have a table with 5900 record that the assets distinct bring down to 290. (SELECT distinct ASSET_DESCRIPTION
    FROM NEW_NT_INSTALLS) I need to be able to id all other items in the table by referenceing the asset_description. Which intern reduce the number of record that I put in another table.

Provided Answers: 1
    Now Garry, being a resident of Washington DC you should know the difference between "in turn" and an "intern"...

I suspect that your problem is not too difficult, but I'm still unsure of what your question is. Do you just want a separate table of ASSETS with a relationship to your data table? What do you mean by "all other items"?

blindman

Data Clean Up

Hey blindman, I'm attempting to clean up data by extracting from a primary table(New_NT_Deploy) and creating new reference tables with those results. My collegue suggest using a SP for this one time process. The Asset seem to be a good start for having distinct items listed from the prime table. Does that make any since? Please see attached.

Page one shows the prime table, 2,3&4 show what the data need to be in the other tables extracted from the prime table.

Originally posted by blindman
    Now Garry, being a resident of Washington DC you should know the difference between "in turn" and an "intern"...

I suspect that your problem is not too difficult, but I'm still unsure of what your question is. Do you just want a separate table of ASSETS with a relationship to your data table? What do you mean by "all other items"?

blindman
    Attached Files Attached Files

What you are trying to do is called data normalization. It is not required to use an SP to do this, but it is a good idea if your process will involve multiple steps, so that if an error occurs you can easily correct the problem and rerun the entire process from the beginning.

Before you start, you need to have your data architecture planned out. Assets would be one table. Other tables could include Technicians, Users, Locations, and maybe others. Next decide where each element in your primary table belongs in your final schema. Also consider the relationships between your entities. Can an Asset be delivered more than once (moved around)? In such a case you would need a table linking Assets and Locations to indicate where it has been and when it was delivered.

I highly recommend that you do some reading on database design and database normalization either from a book or on the web. It is critical that databases be designed well before extensive coding is developed around them.

blindman

Lightbulb Rust

I agree, on the normalization concept. Is it view any differently using a web(JSP) interface.?

Originally posted by blindman
    What you are trying to do is called data normalization. It is not required to use an SP to do this, but it is a good idea if your process will involve multiple steps, so that if an error occurs you can easily correct the problem and rerun the entire process from the beginning.

Before you start, you need to have your data architecture planned out. Assets would be one table. Other tables could include Technicians, Users, Locations, and maybe others. Next decide where each element in your primary table belongs in your final schema. Also consider the relationships between your entities. Can an Asset be delivered more than once (moved around)? In such a case you would need a table linking Assets and Locations to indicate where it has been and when it was delivered.

I highly recommend that you do some reading on database design and database normalization either from a book or on the web. It is critical that databases be designed well before extensive coding is developed around them.

blindman

I don't know what you mean by "Is it view any differently using a web(JSP) interface.?" I'm sure you can use all the standard methods for querying the database through JSP. Check your JSP documentation, which should include assistance on connecting to data servers.

blindman