Thread: Exp/imp

Unanswered: Exp/imp

I have an export file (expdat.dmp) from an AIX 5.2 server. Is it possible to IMPort it to a Solaris 9 server? Both servers running Oracle9i. My DBA tells me it can't be done without the exact datafiles in place...from what I remember (Oracle 6/7) the export file contains all the create tablespace commands in it...all I need is the paths to the datafiles.

Any info would be GREAT!

thanks!

If only import 'touser' then it will use the default tablespace if it cannot find the actual.

Otherwise, if doing full=Y, I suggest creating the tablespaces ahead of time which should not be difficult.

Heck try it out without anything and see what happens
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Originally posted by The_Duck
    If only import 'touser' then it will use the default tablespace if it cannot find the actual.

Otherwise, if doing full=Y, I suggest creating the tablespaces ahead of time which should not be difficult.

Heck try it out without anything and see what happens
    A quick look at the expdat.dmp file (at least the first 100 lines or so) showed a bunch of "create tablespace" commands, with paths to datafiles. So, I created the same directory structure on the AIX server, and am keeping my fingers crossed.

As long as it creates the datafiles with the Tablespace it should work then.
    Have fun!
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Arrow Exp & Imp

exp / file=abc.exp tables=tablespace1.tablename1 buffer=16000000

I use the above command to perform the export of tablename1 from tablespace tablespace1.

Can u please verify the requirement in your case.

Arrow Imp command

I use the following command with respect to my previous posting

imp / file=abc.exp fromuser=user touser=user ignore=y buffer=16000000 indexes=n

Re: Exp & Imp

Originally posted by aruneeshsalhotr
    exp / file=abc.exp tables=tablespace1.tablename1 buffer=16000000

I use the above command to perform the export of tablename1 from tablespace tablespace1.

Can u please verify the requirement in your case.
    The EXPort was takes with full=Y as the SYS user. We ran a benchmark on a IBM p650 in the spring, and now need the exact database on a SunFire 6800 for the same test suite. I think I feel comfortable that this will work fine...just gotta convince the DBA now...heheh.

Thanks!

--Doug