Question Unanswered: Sending an outlook appointment from an .asp page

I have a simple scheduling app that works like this....

1) visitor selects available time from list;
    2) enters their name, email, phone, etc. and notes;
    3) data is stored with selected date/time into a SQL db;
    4) a staff person goes into admin screen and assigns scheduled appointments;
    5) an email with the visitors information goes to the assigned staff person;

The web server is running CDONTS or Aspmail for creating email messages. Internally the client is running Outlook to an external POP server (not Exchange).

I would like the email that is sent to the assigned staff person to come in as an appointment request. I know they will have to accept it but that is acceptable.

I would;

Search google, and google usenet forums for the format of the outlook email, or you could try saving a test email message (send one to your self, and then drag it onto the desktop) opening it in notepad or a hex editor and seeing what it looks like; if your lucky its XML format and therefore easy, otherwise it will be a long task (but not toooo long) to deciper the way it works - you would just have to repeat the proccess; changing the settings in the test email each time and noting the differences - you would/could eventually work out the format yourself.

I could do this for you, but I would not be able to do it for free. Please PM me if you have no luck on google or doing it your self...

vCalendar

It's not the MS format, but there's a standard format that MS and many other email/calendar clients support.

For Contacts it's called "vCard", for Calendar it's called "vCalendar".

I have both of the specifications printed out and kept at close hand. The jist of it would be to use the vCalendar specifications to generate a text file on the web/app server. Then you'd attach that file to an email to be sent to the recipients. After the web/app server delivers the email with the vCalendar attachment, you'd remove the file.

Hit Google for "vCalendar".. you'll find some info...

Talking Thanks - that was it.

Quite simple when you know where to look. Thanks for the info.

I haven't used vCalendar yet, but I've used vCard... initially I did it by hacking out the format from Outlook, but then I found the specifications which made it much easier.