Red face Unanswered: Problem with field format (input mask)

Hello all.
    It seems like this problem would be fairly simple to fix, but it has been driving me crazy for over a week now.
    I recently took over managing an Access database at work. It was designed simple as its purpose is to log and track certain incidents in daily operations. Each incident is given an unique identifier. The format mask is: &&&"-K03";;
    The problem is, the year is half over and we're approaching # 1000 real quick. I've tried to change the format to allow the fourth digit, but the field is a text data type and it sorts as text (so that 1000 immediately follows 100). I've tried to manually enter a leading "0" as a placeholder, but the relationships won't allow that.
    I would really appreciate any advice on this one. I'm ready to just build a separate database!
    Thanks much!

Provided Answers: 5
    Personally I would handle it this way:

one field - being an autonumber (incID)

I would then have an unbound control (txtIncID) on the form
    when a user adds an incident I would

txtIncID = incID & "K03"

that will display the incidents as you need them and allow you to sort accordingly.

Wink Re: Problem with field format (input mask)

Originally posted by MonkeyGirl
    Hello all.
    It seems like this problem would be fairly simple to fix, but it has been driving me crazy for over a week now.
    I recently took over managing an Access database at work. It was designed simple as its purpose is to log and track certain incidents in daily operations. Each incident is given an unique identifier. The format mask is: &&&"-K03";;
    The problem is, the year is half over and we're approaching # 1000 real quick. I've tried to change the format to allow the fourth digit, but the field is a text data type and it sorts as text (so that 1000 immediately follows 100). I've tried to manually enter a leading "0" as a placeholder, but the relationships won't allow that.
    I would really appreciate any advice on this one. I'm ready to just build a separate database!
    Thanks much!
    Hi Monkey(girl),

It should be possible to add the leading zero : just make sure you change existing values at the 1-side of the relationship and your relationship should allow cascade-updates.
    Like this, you can add the fourth digit and continue working with the database. But next time you make such a database, use an incrementing autonumber instead ...

greetings,
    Her(man)

Leading zeros do not exist for integers

This is acces not excel

If a control excepts a leading zero it is either text or when you lose focus of that control it will drop the leading zero

concantonate an integer with the text in a seperate control

Wink

Originally posted by axsprog
    Leading zeros do not exist for integers

This is acces not excel

If a control excepts a leading zero it is either text or when you lose focus of that control it will drop the leading zero

concantonate an integer with the text in a seperate control
    If I can still read correctly, we are talking here about a text field.....

you do read correctly - but remember our assistance is not for each other it for the one who posted - I did not want monkey girl to assume that the leading zeros would indicate that the field would somehow be "converted" to numeric and therefore have the potential of being sorted that way.

I was not trying to be condescending to Herman - he always has good solutions

bottom line - both solutions are just that - viable solutions that will work.

Provided Answers: 1
    If its a text field and the mask accepts text, why not start using alpha-numeric values?

A00
    A01
    A02
    etc...

should sort correctly.

because 333 will sort befor 22 in a text field

Provided Answers: 1
    I was under the impression that it is already a text field, so isn't it already sorting like this?

If not, I agree with Herman that it should be possible to add the leading zero and cascade the updates to maintain relational integrity.

blindman