Unanswered: tomcat conn. pool with oracle 8i

Hey,

Using tomcat to create a connection from server.xml so that it is available for all webapps. now, this works fine with ms sql, so i know there is something a bit off with what i am doing. i've wasted far too much time on this and trying different things and haven't found the desired result.

11-JUL-2003 16:26:21 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=xxx)(CID=(PROGRAM=)(HOST=__jdbc __)(USER=))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.0.0.4)(PORT=33707) ) * establish * xxx * 0

I see this in the listener.log file on the oracle box, so tomcat is helping to make a connection. However, on the web server, the request is sent to use the oracle connection and it sits and hangs. Never returns any results and ultimately hangs the tomcat process to the point that it has to be killed (kill -9

<parameter>
    <name>driverClassName</name>
    <value>oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver</value>
    </parameter>

<parameter>
    <name>url</name>
    <value>jdbcracle:thin:@10.0.0.3:1521:xxx</value>
    </parameter>

tnsping works as the user tomcat4 which is what tomcat runs as. I'm totally at a loss now though. Would greatly appreciate any help.

Can you setup a sqlplus connection as tomcat4 to the database as tnsping doesnt actually create a connection. Also if you have a firewall and Oracle is on NT then you will have problems as NT does port redirection which means you ask to talk on port 1521 say and NT will say I want to talk on some other port (randomly choosen) to which your firewall will probably say no.

Alan

thanks for the reply. user tomcat4 can connect to the oracle database which resides on a solaris box. that's not an issue. the connection is made, but nothing happens. no flow between the two.

there isn't a firewall in the way. free flowing in either direction

The other problem I am aware of is using an older oracle thin driver (8i) to talk to a 9i database causes ora-600s in the alert.log.

Alan

nope. it's 8i to 8i