Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Unanswered: query slow from 4 seconds to 1 minute after upgrade from sybase12 to sybase12.5

I migrate my sybase12 on AIX 4.3 raw device to sybase12.5 on AIX5.1 jfs, one query is extremly slow then. from 4 seconds to 1 minute.

I have "update all statistics" all involved tables, "data/procedure cache" is bigger, "dsync off" on sybase device. I assume query plan should not change.

I also run sp_sysmon for a minute period , it persistently tell me on sybase12.5 "total disk i/o checks count" is 400000, and "network checks" is 80000. but on sybase12, those number is less than 500. I have tried to change "i/o polling process" from 10->100->10000, "runnable process search count" from 3->2000->20000. the same thing.

I am really confused, what's wrong?

Any idea?

Thanks,

Jiulu Sun

Re: query slow from 4 seconds to 1 minute after upgrade from sybase12 to sybase12.5

Originally posted by jiulusun
    I migrate my sybase12 on AIX 4.3 raw device to sybase12.5 on AIX5.1 jfs, one query is extremly slow then. from 4 seconds to 1 minute.

I have "update all statistics" all involved tables, "data/procedure cache" is bigger, "dsync off" on sybase device. I assume query plan should not change.

I also run sp_sysmon for a minute period , it persistently tell me on sybase12.5 "total disk i/o checks count" is 400000, and "network checks" is 80000. but on sybase12, those number is less than 500. I have tried to change "i/o polling process" from 10->100->10000, "runnable process search count" from 3->2000->20000. the same thing.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Jiulu Sun
    Hey,
    Try dropping the indexes and then recreating them. It will automatically run run updatestat's after completion of indexing. Have you checked the query plan and can you please include the query plan before and after???

Thanks

DB

Re: query slow from 4 seconds to 1 minute after upgrade from sybase12 to sybase12.5

Originally posted by dba_sybase2003
    Hey,
    Try dropping the indexes and then recreating them. It will automatically run run updatestat's after completion of indexing. Have you checked the query plan and can you please include the query plan before and after???

Thanks

DB
    Also try running vmstat and check for drive speed bottlenecks.

I did not mean to put that icon over there. It was a slip of the pointer.
    sorry again.

I drop the table and recreate it, bcp in data, recreate indexes, "update all statistics" on the table, query plan not change too much, and the query is still running over 1 minute.

here is the before and after of dbcc 302.

Thanks,
    Jiulu
    Attached Files Attached Files

I did not mean to put that icon over there. It was a slip of the pointer.
    sorry again.
    Here is the dbcc 302 output after rebuild table.

Thanks,

Jiulu

Here is the dbcc 302 output after rebuild table.

Thanks,

Jiulu
    The showplan show that the optimiser is reading the data from the disk and not the cache. Also, can you please run just showplan and not dbcc traceon's. Can you also post the query please??? How did you rebuild the table and is any of the table's partitioned???

Thanks,

Regards

DB

Lightbulb Re: query slow from 4 seconds to 1 minute after upgrade from sybase12 to sybase12.5

The showplan show that the optimiser is reading the data from the disk and not the cache. Also, can you please run just showplan and not dbcc traceon's. Can you also post the query please??? How did you rebuild the table and is any of the table's partitioned???

Thanks,

Regards

DB
    Here is the showplan output and the query, tables are not partitioned, I dropped table and recreate table and index, update all statistics on the table.

I wonder how you find out it's disk reading instead of cache read? (it seems to be true !!!) sorry I don't have many experience with Sybase Query plan.

Thank you very much.

Jiulu

Thanks,

Regards

DB
    Here is the query source code

Thanks,

Jiulu

Here is the query source code

Thanks,

Jiulu
    Hey,
    I would create a ncindex on business.inactive,systemcodevalue.code,relationman ager.relationcode

After that see whether the showplan has changed or not. Hope, this helps.

Regards

DB

Hey,
    I would create a ncindex on business.inactive,systemcodevalue.code,relationman ager.relationcode

After that see whether the showplan has changed or not. Hope, this helps.

Regards

DB
    Thanks for the input, unfortunately it does not work.

Any idea?

Thanks,
    Hi,
    Did you get to reduce the response time of the query which was slow?? I am curious how you solved it??????????

Regards

Jaideep

Jiulu Sun

Red face Re: query slow from 4 seconds to 1 minute after upgrade from sybase12 to sybase12.5

I have not solved it yet. Sybase Tech Support are working on this too. I short the time from 1 minute to 20 seconds by rewriting the query (the rewrite is suggested by Sybase SQL Expert), but that's not the solution for the serverwide query problem?

Hope Sybase tech support will have the answer soon...

Jiulu

Any idea?

Thanks,
    Hi,
    Did you get to reduce the response time of the query which was slow?? I am curious how you solved it??????????

Regards

Jaideep

Jiulu Sun

Did you make sure to alter the new memory management settings? There were a number of new changes in 12.5 which can have significant performance impacts.
    Thanks,

Matt