Unanswered: Details in a form?

Hey all,
    I have a form for entering property owner details.
    If I type in the code for an owner (say BRO002)should all his details present in the form automatically or do I have to force them to show?

Geoff P

Provided Answers: 1
    Why should the owner's details be present in a form for entering property data. I hope you are not storing both in the same table.

If you want to see details from the Owners table, create a form for viewing and editing. If you want, you can then have a subform that allows you to enter properties that belong to them.

You can also have the reverse: a main form that shows property information and a subform that show owner details.

blindman

Originally posted by blindman
    Why should the owner's details be present in a form for entering property data. I hope you are not storing both in the same table.

If you want to see details from the Owners table, create a form for viewing and editing. If you want, you can then have a subform that allows you to enter properties that belong to them.

You can also have the reverse: a main form that shows property information and a subform that show owner details.

blindman
    hey blind man,
    You misunderstand. Maybe I didn't explain correctly.
    I have a form for entering property details. Property code, address, type of property etc.
    I also have another form for entering owners details. Owner code, first name, last name, address etc.
    What I want to happen is for the details of an owner to come up in the owner form when I type in his owner code. At present this does not happen.
    I need this in order to be able to add a new owner without having to check each time that I.m not doubling up on the code number.
    eg I have owners Adams (ADA001 -ADA004) I want to add another Adams but am unsure of the last code number so if I type in ADA004 and details emerge I know that I have at least 4 Adams and can work from there.
    I hope that makes it clearer

Yes, I think I understand now.

"What I want to happen is for the details of an owner to come up in the owner form when I type in his owner code. "

This sounds like you want to be able to quickly look up a record in your owners form. Add a combo box to your owners form, and when the Wizard prompts you select the "Find a record on my form based on the value I selected in my combo box." option.

blindman

details in forms

Thanks B'man I'll give it a try.
    Stand by there will be more ? ))))))

geoff P

An Aussie, eh? I lived in Australia for two years back in 1975 and 1976 when my father taught at the University Of Melbourne. I remember traveling to Sydney (is that near Riverina?) and seeing Cosi Fan Tuti performed at the opera house.

blindmate

An Aussie

Originally posted by blindman
    An Aussie, eh? I lived in Australia for two years back in 1975 and 1976 when my father taught at the University Of Melbourne. I remember traveling to Sydney (is that near Riverina?) and seeing Cosi Fan Tuti performed at the opera house.

blindmate
    Yep a dinky, di Aussie,

The Riverina is (my bit at least) 680 klms from Sydney. ))

Geoff P