Unanswered: Mysql Instalation

I have XP on my pc i have installed mysql i have downloaded an 18.1 mb zipped file from mysql download and the version is the latest which is 4.0 and i have not set my envoronment variable as yet and i know until i set it then its going to work but can any one help to put this write by tellling me what exaclty do i need to add in the environemnt tab.

dont think mysql need its env. variables to be set before i can run, it has default settings that meet most needs. just try to start the server, install a mysql server management software such as mysql-front, EMS... and start designing your tables.

hope this helps
    qha_vn

I have installed mysql and i have also installed mysql control centre which is a management program for gui but its still does not work i am getting an error saying it could not connecct to the server.

Originally posted by qha_vn
    dont think mysql need its env. variables to be set before i can run, it has default settings that meet most needs. just try to start the server, install a mysql server management software such as mysql-front, EMS... and start designing your tables.

hope this helps

correct me if I'm wrong, but you'll need the ODBC drivers (download from the mySQL site) to get the control center and mySQL to talk to each other. this is mySQL version of ADO which allows all connectivity.

Originally posted by Twahir34
    I have installed mysql and i have also installed mysql control centre which is a management program for gui but its still does not work i am getting an error saying it could not connecct to the server.
    could you be able to start mysql properly? can you go to command promt, cd to mysql\bin directory and type:

mysqladmin version

if there is something like

Server version 3.23.49-nt
    Protocol version 10

then you have successfully started the server. next step is to connect by mysql control center on localhost (the computer that runs mysql server) with user name 'root', no password by default.

if you cant get mysql reply, it means you havent started the server, pls goto mysql website, check how to start mysql server on windows 2000/xp machines and try to start it first.

hope this helps
    qha_vn

Originally posted by barry.b
    correct me if I'm wrong, but you'll need the ODBC drivers (download from the mySQL site) to get the control center and mySQL to talk to each other. this is mySQL version of ADO which allows all connectivity.
    we wont need to have odbc driver to for mysql server management software, odbc is for client connectivity.

hope this helps
    qha_vn