Thread: n00b

Unanswered: n00b

Hi everyone,

I have been looking all over the net for an answer to my question and was unsuccessful so please help me!

Is is possible to use an access database on a website and allow the user to input data into a form that goes straight into the database?

My database is for a school and they need to input pupil information, and call selected data back out if needed.

i already know how to create sql queries but im not sure if what im asking is even possible.

Thanks alot

Re: n00b

Originally posted by leegoz
    Is is possible to use an access database on a website and allow the user to input data into a form that goes straight into the database?
    You generally need to use a Server Side Scripting language like PHP, ASP (or ASP.NET) or CGI. Maybe a COM object (I don't know enough about IIS programming to answer that acurately though as I use Apache + PHP mostly).

However, I started DB programming a few years ago using Access, IIS and ASP on an NT 4 workstation via an ODBC interface.

Seeing as this is a MySQL forum, you should probably post at some of the other forums on dbforums.com.

Also look in the Access Help pages (RTFM) there's a tool in there that i think creates an HTML page automatically with some client side VBScripting that might connect directly to the DB.

Remember though: Access is not really suited to handling many requests, if it's for your school, and for students to access, consider upgrading to MS SQL Server, or even better MySQL.

Regards,

Adam