Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: grant select questions

Is there a way of granting select to all tables for a user, e.g.

GRANT SELECT ON * TO USER TEST_USER

Is there a way to grant select to specific attributes within a table? For instance MySQL will apparently let you type:

GRANT SELECT (COL_A,COL_B,COL_C) ON TEST_TABLE TO TEST_USER

I've tried the above in DB2's Command Center and get a SQLSTATE=42601 error. However a similar update statement is accepted without problem. For instance:

GRANT UPDATE(COL_A) ON TEST_TABLE TO TEST_USER

Thanks,

JR

GRANT SELECT on columns is not supported. But you can create a View which only contains the columns you want to authorize access to, and then GRANT SELECT on that View.

Thanks for that Marcus, I was beginning to think that much. Do you know of a what of granting select on all tables (apart from granting them individually)?

Regards

JR

No. GRANT SELECT on * is not supported. But you can write an SQL statement to build the list of Grants that you want:

select "grant select on ", tabname, "to user1;"
    from syscat.tables
    where .....

If you need the schema name in front of the table, then you could concatenate tabschema, ".", tabname. This would have to be done without trailing blanks in the tabschema using RTRIM.

Crafty solution Marcus! Ta very much.

It seems that doing anything with DB2 involves searching for hours, making a minor step forward, and then repeating the process with a new error.

I've taken your suggestions and produced the following:

SELECT "GRANT SELECT ON ",TABNAME," TO HAPPY;"
    FROM SYSCAT.TABLES
    WHERE TABSCHEMA='DB2ADMIN';

The problem is that I'm now getting the following error:

SQL0010N The string constant beginning with "" TO HAPPY" does not have an ending string delimiter. SQLSTATE=42603

DB21034E The command was processed as an SQL statement because it was not a valid Command Line Processor command. During SQL processing it returned: SQL0010N The string constant beginning with "" FROM SYSCAT.TABLES WHERE TABSCHEMA='DB2ADMIN'" does not have an ending string delimiter. SQLSTATE=42603

Is the string delimiter the same as the statement termination character (i.e. ; ). If so, then that is what is already set in "Tools Settings".

I am not sure where you are submitting this from, but you may need a single quote (') or some way to indicate the string delimiter. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for your patience. I was submitting the text in the command center and have tried both double and single quotes.

Thanks, but I'm afraid that I still get the same error even when I try the following:

SELECT 'GRANT SELECT ON',TABNAME,'TO HAPPY;'
    FROM SYSCAT.TABLES

I'm finding DB2 very frustrating to learn as it seems that every little step takes hours of searching to find out what the problem is.

PS There was another post here (now deleted) that suggested single quotes.
    Last edited by rudgej; 07-13-03 at 13:50.

DB2 is playing true to form. After a couple of frustrating hours, I finally managed it with the following:

SELECT 'GRANT SELECT ON ' || TABNAME || ' TO USER HAPPY'
    FROM SYSCAT.TABLES

Regards

JR

I'm not sure what the problem is with your original query ... I tried the same on my Linux Box(using db2 -tvf ) and it was working OK ...

The query suggested by Marcus_A generates the select column as 3 columns and what you have done is concatenation of the three columns...

Cheers

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

No it beats me too. I tried every combination of things that I could find, and by trial and error got one that worked. I find this to be very frustrating with DB2, but since I'm only using it for the next few weeks, the end is in sight...

I tried the following using the Comand Center (remotely) on DB2 7.2 FP9 on Windows.

SELECT 'GRANT SELECT ON',TABNAME,'TO HAPPY;'
    FROM SYSCAT.TABLES

The problem is the embedded ';' after HAPPY, which DB2 thinks is a statement termination character.

I tried changing or disabling the statement termination character ";" in the Tool Settings, but that did not seem to work.

Just to clarify, the problem is with the GUI, not the DB2 server, since as Sathyaram pointed out, the following works from the command line with the embedded ';' termination character:

db2 -tvf input_query.txt -r output.txt
    Last edited by Marcus_A; 07-13-03 at 19:47.

Hi
    To get this to work in the rather stupid command centre 7.2 GUI you have to put it into one line and drop the ';' delimiter:

SELECT 'GRANT SELECT ON ' || TABNAME || ' TO USER HAPPY' FROM SYSCAT.TABLES WHERE TABSCHEMA='DB2ADMIN'

results in:

GRANT SELECT ON ACC_VIEW TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON AGENT TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON AGENT_CON TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON AGENT_CUSTOMER TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON AGENT_ORDER TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON CUST_SUM TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON CUSTOMER TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON EXPLAIN_INSTANCE TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON EXPLAIN_STATEMENT TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON NUM_ORDERS TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON ORD_LINE TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON ORD_ORD_LINE TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON ORD_ORDER_LINE TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON ORD_TOTAL TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON ORDER TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON ORDER_COST TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON PROD_CUST_CITY TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON PRODUCT TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON R1 TO USER HAPPY
    GRANT SELECT ON R2 TO USER HAPPY

20 record(s) selected.

So it works, it is just the stupid java GUI, even after installing DB7.2PE Fixpack10 I still cant use a multiline SQL statement and the ';' delimiter.

I have some triggers that overflows the 255 character line limit. How am I supposed to get them working.