Unanswered: Space needed for Reorg

Hi,
    THere is a table of 11G size. I have just deleted around 4G worth of data from this table. Now i want to run a re-org on this table.

If i run the re-org and make it to use a temporary tablespace. how much size should be the temporary tablespace(should it around 7G???)

Thanks
    Sateesh
    OCP,IBM UDB,SYBASE DBA
    TCS, BANGALORE, INDIA

Re: Space needed for Reorg

From V8 manuals :

Because classic table reorganization creates the shadow copy of the table, it can require twice as much space as the original table. If the reorganized table is larger than the original, reorganization can require more than twice as much space as the original.

The shadow copy can be built in a temporary tablespace if the table tablespace is not large enough, but the replace phase performs best in the same DMS table space. Tables in SMS table spaces must always store the shadow copy in temporary space.

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by msateeshkumar
    Hi,
    THere is a table of 11G size. I have just deleted around 4G worth of data from this table. Now i want to run a re-org on this table.

If i run the re-org and make it to use a temporary tablespace. how much size should be the temporary tablespace(should it around 7G???)

Thanks
    Sateesh
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.