Angry Unanswered: Kicking users off a database

Is there a way to force users off of a database? I just upgraded to Access 2002 and I'm having a hard time getting used to not being able to modify the code in a database unless I have the database opened exclusively.

I'm thinking that if I can find a way to force users off the database, my problem would be fixed!

Thanks,
    HR

Provided Answers: 5
    best way to handle something like this from a development standpoint is to have a frontend/backend scheme and keep a master copy of the frontend for development. After you make changes redploy the front end to the pcs

You know, I've worked with Access for about 7 years now and have come accross a couple of "front/back end" setups. I've always found those to be very slow in terms of accessing the linked table data, so I've stayed away from that.

Thanks for the reply though!

HR

I have worked with Access since version 1.0 - $99 from egghead software

You are correct about lag - in some situations - usually these are from bandwith - table size - bad queries, heavy forms and intense calculations behind controls

Kicking a user out of the live db may cause corruption - Novell had the ability to go to syscon and kick a user off - it was nice - i am sure server2000 as well has some feature - but you still risk corruption when the user is exited in an unorthodox fashion

Try the performance tests with your own local front end and see how it works - it may be worth it

You could write a module that checks time of day and exits the app
    but that would not assist in modifications on the fly

sorry I cannot give any better advice - good luck.

You are correct about lag - in some situations - usually these are from bandwith - table size - bad queries, heavy forms and intense calculations behind controls

Kicking a user out of the live db may cause corruption - Novell had the ability to go to syscon and kick a user off - it was nice - i am sure server2000 as well has some feature - but you still risk corruption when the user is exited in an unorthodox fashion

Try the performance tests with your own local front end and see how it works - it may be worth it

Your idea is not so bad...if I can put together a function that runs on a timer, I can add a linked table to every database out there. This table would hold instructions for that particular db to shut down when necessary...I'll have to tinker with that.

Thanks again!

HR

I attached a sample that u might find useful.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks billjov! I'll check it out!

HR

check out this site

http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/TableOfContents.asp

Look under LogOff users