Red face Unanswered: Change path for Linked Excel

Hi,

I have 6 .mdb files linked to each other out of which We have a database having linked excels with it. These are sent to India from US, so the paths specified were all hardcoded to some PC in their network. Now here in our local set up, we managed to change the path of rest of the .mdb files but have problems with changing the path for these linked Excels.

The MS-Acess 2000 help says that You should go to in Tools\Add-ins\Link table manager and then check the box saying 'Ask for location' , it happens that way, but the new path is not accepted.

What could be the problem?

Thanks a bunch

Karuna

If you click on the currently linked Excel tables, do you get to see the data? If so, there is a connection so that's good. If not, there isn't a connection. Maybe that's something worth looking into.
    Bye,

Jeroen

A 3D editor project
    www.delgine.com

Changing path for Linked Excel

Originally posted by JeroenNL
    If you click on the currently linked Excel tables, do you get to see the data? If so, there is a connection so that's good. If not, there isn't a connection. Maybe that's something worth looking into.
    If I click on currently linked Excel, I dont see the data, I get an error saying "Cannot Update. Database is Read Only." As far as my knowledge goes, this happens when wither the DB is read only, or the object that it is trying to update is not accessible. In My case these DBs had hardcoded links.. showing paths of their PCs in their LAN in US. Now out here, in our LAN, it doesnt find those PCs and the path from where it's picking up is not found.. hence it throws this error.. I tried changing that path.. but in vain..

Thanks in anticipation

Re: Changing path for Linked Excel

Something you could do :
    Delete the linked Excel-tables in your database and relink to the correct Excel files in your own LAN.

Originally posted by shah_karuna
    If I click on currently linked Excel, I dont see the data, I get an error saying "Cannot Update. Database is Read Only." As far as my knowledge goes, this happens when wither the DB is read only, or the object that it is trying to update is not accessible. In My case these DBs had hardcoded links.. showing paths of their PCs in their LAN in US. Now out here, in our LAN, it doesnt find those PCs and the path from where it's picking up is not found.. hence it throws this error.. I tried changing that path.. but in vain..

Thanks in anticipation

I'm experiencing simular problems right now. I have a few link tables that link to another Access database which resides in some remote directory on the coorporate LAN. When I click on the tables, I don't get to see the data. That's one problem. I also can't delete these tables anymore! That's another problem. The weird thing is, queries work correctly with these linked tables...

After spending quite some time on these problems I found out that the directoryname of the remote database is quite long, 120 characters. When I place the remote database into another directory with a smaller name, everything works. I still don't know why this happens but it's worth looking into. Who knows, maybe your problem has a simular origin?
    Bye,

Jeroen

A 3D editor project
    www.delgine.com