Angry Unanswered: Keys in Linked Tables

I set up a database composed of 16 Tables and I populated these tables from text files.

These text files get updated on a biweekly basis, so I need my tables to be updated on a biweekly basis also....I linked my tables to these text files but I lost all the keys in my tables and all my relationships.

I tried to establish relationships between the linked tables but they were all set as "Indeterminate" relationship type.

Is there a way to keep the keys and relationship while linking the tables to the text files? And is there a way to split a linked table?

the bloody server ate my last reply, and i dont have the courage to retype it.

see if you can fake it using queries to form the "relationships" between your linked text.

izy

Angry

I replicated my linked tables into queries and I tried to link them to each others (and I also tried to link each query to its linked table) and in both cases the Relationship type this time is "Unknow" vs. "Undeterminate" with what I had previously linking the linked tables.

sorry, dropped the ball.
    "but I lost all the keys" sounds nasty. how did the keys get there in the first place? linking to a text file doesn't make keys.

joining two fields between two text files produces an "indeterminate" connection as you observe.

meanwhile, this is always going to be unsatisfactory because you don't have keys.

i have a similar problem with some business stats. my solution:
    i get a CSV update from the server whenever i think of it and link to the CSV from my application. i then find all entries in the CSV with a time-stamp later than the oldest in my table and append these new entries into my table. i only have relationships between this table (not the linked CSV) and the rest of my application. i don't lose my keys!

meanwhile "split a linked table" needs more detail, the answer is YES, (you can do anything you like with the data, but NOT in the linked file) but i don't understand the question.

izy

So you mean I should write a code to link my table to the csv file instead of using the wizard and linking automatically to the csv file. And the code will append automatically when I run it all the updates in the csv to my table.
    Did I understand it right?