Question Unanswered: Rollforward Database altering?

Hi

We are currently planning to implement a hot standby for our production database by having the archivelogs shipped over the network to a second machine and leaving the database in rollforward recovery mode.

My question is, our production database tablespaces do grow (get extended) from time to time.
    So should this happen, what would happen to the hot standby database which would have a tablespace too small to accomodate the incoming data? Can tablespaces in this rollforward database be altered easily?

If anyone has done this and can offer some hints/tips/gotchas i would be most grateful.

Thanks
    Jamie

What kind of tablespaces do you have - sms or dms?

I'm not sure that you could increase the size of a dms tablespace while the database is in a rollforward pending state since it is inaccessible. For an SMS tablespace, I'd think you could add space to the containers and they should be grow.

However, if you were restoring the database instead, you could do a redirected restore(limited to entire database only, I have been told) to new containers.

So, if you cannot increase the containers, when the sizes are changed, I'd say you'd have to rebuild the hot standy from another backup and then keep rolling forward at the desired frequency.

From what I understand, the alter tablespaces are also logged ... Hence, on the target server, the containers will extend if you extend them on the source ...

For this to happen, the containers on both the source and the standby should be the same ... ie, if you have done a redirected restore to create the standby, the rollforward will fail when it tries to extend the tablespace using the container name as in the source database ...

I have not tested this scenario, but from a couple of things I have seen in the past, this is what I can think of ...

HTH

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Here is a little test I did :

1) Online backup of sample database. Tablespace dms01 - 1 container - C:\dms01.1
    2) Redirected Restore Sample Database as sampbkp on the same box . Tablespace dms01 redirected to C:\dms01.1.bkp
    3) Copy sample's log to another location and rollforward sampbkp using the copied logs .
    4) Extended the tablespace dms01 on sample
    5) Archived log on sample
    6) Copied the latest logs to another location and rollforward sampbkp usign the copied logs .

Error Message : Unexpected System Error Occured.

db2diag.log message :
    Unable to extend/resize container as it does not exist in the tablespace.
    Container: C:\dms01.1

Hence I assume that if the container name for the sampbkp has been c:\dms01.1 db2 would have extended the container ...

HTH

Sathyaram
    Last edited by sathyaram_s; 07-15-03 at 14:58.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.