Question Unanswered: Something about Speed

ok..
    I've read the number of records ACCESS can hold, size of mdb file etc.
    Now, I want to know something about speed. Like I have a web site with some hundreds of records in an mdb file. How much will it be effected w.r.t. speed if records exceed thousand?
    For example, if the mdb file has 5,000 records in a table. Will it be time consuming for running a query of "SELECT * from users where username=this" ???or will it take normal time?

Someone please clarify me in detail.
    Thanks!

i tried some primitive timing tests a while back on an old 333MHz portable.

linked table with 20,000 records of 17 fields (mixed text & doubles), 5,000 records had a text field starting with "G".

i used a stored query getting * with Like "G*" to populate a recordset and .movelast on those 5000 records. looping through this 100 times took under 30 seconds. without the .movelast it was 4 seconds.

izy

Talking HMmm...

Meaning... on the web servers where the processors are in Ghz and not in Mhz..... the speed must be normal ??
    I can run a database of 50,000 records on a web server with like 10-15 fields...
    am i right??

if the data is on the same machine that is executing the sql, 50,000 records should not be a speed issue.

if the data is remote from the sql "intelligence", you get to one of the things about A that intrigues me:

consider a big backend mdb on one end of a network on a dumb file server and A's sql "intelligence" at the other end of the network on a client.

the client is not passing the sql query to the dumb server for the server to send back the selected records: there is no sql "intelligence" on the dumb file server. so how does A handle the query?

??? does the A client pull ALL the records (or all the indexes (or?)) into the "smart" client in order to execute the query??? think of the network traffic if A really pulls all the records!

anyone know the inner workings of this stuff?

izy