Unanswered: Remeber the next dev, please

Just been tasked to fix a payroll system. The heart of the system is a union query with 28 seperate elements, amounting to over 12,000 characters of code. The fields are handily identified as A, B, C etc.

Naturally the tax rates are hardcoded into the queries and there are duplices showing up for some of the more obscure elements.

Now I admit to a few ssytems that werem't as clear as possible or missing a bit of documentation, but this is plain cruel.

Re: Remeber the next dev, please

Originally posted by Risky
    Just been tasked to fix a payroll system. The heart of the system is a union query with 28 seperate elements, amounting to over 12,000 characters of code. The fields are handily identified as A, B, C etc.

Naturally the tax rates are hardcoded into the queries and there are duplices showing up for some of the more obscure elements.

Now I admit to a few ssytems that werem't as clear as possible or missing a bit of documentation, but this is plain cruel.
    always a good idea,the biggest problem tends to be trying to get your brain around how some one else will see your code and then providing the correct documentation. hopfully i'll get better at that the longer i'm in the industry but at the minute god help the poor sap who has to take over from me
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.