Thread: XP Conversion

Unanswered: XP Conversion

I created an application in Access 2000 that consisted of a database and a front end. In 2000 when the frount end queried the db it had a 10 - 20 second response time. After the office was converted to Office XP the response time can very anywhere between 2 mins and 10 seconds. The response time is not consistant. I have tried converting the database into a 2002 format, I have opened the source code and recompiled in XP, I have tried to run the 2000 version in XP all to no avail. Any suggestions, or hints would be great
    Jim

Provided Answers: 5
    I am converting our entire office over to Access Xp with some PC's using the runtime (avoiding license issues).

I found that I could get better performance by doing the following:

Instead of running the conversion utility I looked at alll the references in the vb project in the old dbs and created a new 2002 project.

I then referenced these in the new db and IMPORTED all of my objects from the old db

I cannot really explain why this created less headaches but it is the method for upgrade I have always done

My form loads were about 20% faster , but more importantly code that was inherent in older versions seemed less quirky this way

Also I had one very stubborn front end that had been worked on since 95 (97, 2000)

I chose not to convert this and just run it from 2002 and it runs beautifully.

hth

Originally posted by axsprog
    I am converting our entire office over to Access Xp with some PC's using the runtime (avoiding license issues).

I found that I could get better performance by doing the following:

Instead of running the conversion utility I looked at alll the references in the vb project in the old dbs and created a new 2002 project.

I then referenced these in the new db and IMPORTED all of my objects from the old db

I cannot really explain why this created less headaches but it is the method for upgrade I have always done

My form loads were about 20% faster , but more importantly code that was inherent in older versions seemed less quirky this way

Also I had one very stubborn front end that had been worked on since 95 (97, 2000)

I chose not to convert this and just run it from 2002 and it runs beautifully.

hth
    so u are suggesting to make a new db link all my tables and import the forms?
    just verifying
    Jim

Provided Answers: 5
    yes

when I supported Access this was always a more "stable" controlled way to upgrade.

make sure alll the references (vbe window tools/references) are exactly as they are in the previous version.

holler if I can help