Unanswered: Oracle Client with TOAD is very informative

Oracle Client with TOAD is very informative, and helps get the job done in time.
    Thanks to ALANP for helping me out figuring out how to use TOAD to connect to a remote server.

This one I like even more than TOAD:
    Tora

Always make sure that nobody (accept maybe the DBA) uses TOAD/Tora on a production database.
    Too many easy buttons for dropping, truncating etc.
    Ruud Schilders
    -----------------
    Oracle DBA
    e-mail : ruud@schilders.it
    URL : www.schilders.it
    Twitter : www.twitter.com/ruudschilders

Arrow TOAD Schema Browser

Hi
    I have a very generic question, but it would really help me a lot organizing various stuff.

I am in the process of putting description against each column and each table in the DB.

I wanted to know if this information is stored on the DB server or on my machine.

The basic purpose is that, if someone else also installs TOAD on his machine, would he be able to see the comments I have created for the columns and the tables.
    Thanx and Regards
    Aruneesh

Herein lies one of the problems of using third party tools such as TOAD. You all probably know I'm a fan of TOAD but you should be carefull about substituting TOAD knowledge with Oracle knowledge.

All TOAD does (in the comment situation) is the following....

Comment on table FRED IS 'This is the fred table';
    Comment on column FRED.ID is 'This is Fred's ID column';

They're Oracle statements, ie, valid in SqlPlus or on any other tool that can push some text to an Oracle DB.

You can get this data by querying the system views (all_col_comments / all_tab_comments or somesuch).

A useful feature of TOAD is 'Spool SQL'. Unfortunately Quest software (TOAD's publishers) see fit to completely mess up the menu structure in between each and every version so I couldn't tell you where to find it.

TOAD is great - but learn how to do it in SqlPlus before relying on TOAD. That way, the 101 different AV's that TOAD generates won't bother you too much.

Hth
    Bill

Wow I can post! First time in weeks!

For the past two weeks I can mess with Oracle's serializable isolation (nasty), I could up and down instances quicker than a wh**es drawers, allsorts. I could post here, there and everywhere, (except not actually here).

This could be two in a row!

Yes, you're right, I'm sad for trying so hard. Now you poor sods will have to put up with my mumblings again :-)