Angry Unanswered: User Defined Field Names in a Query

I know I have seen this before but I just cant seem to find the one web page with this on it. My question is ...

How do you reference user defined field names, like MyField: blahblah in the design grid. I want to reference the MyField in the Criteria section of another field. [MyField] acts like I want to enter a parameter. I thougt it was some special symbol, but I cant remember it.
    Help!~Thanks!

Provided Answers: 5
    forms!formName!fieldname

Thumbs down

Originally posted by axsprog
    forms!formName!fieldname
    Nope not what I am looking for. It is in a QUERY Design Veiw. A Query Field Name like MyField: Left$([field],1). Then How do I reference MyField in the Criteria Section of another field like [Field2]

create an alias

New column name in the grid

myAlias:[FieldName2]

Thumbs down

Originally posted by axsprog
    create an alias

New column name in the grid

myAlias:[FieldName2]

Nope. Let me put down another way. I have a calculated field i the design grid say

InvCost : [field1]+[field2]

and I have another field

ActCost: [Field3]-[Field4]

Now I want to make sure that ActCost is Less than InvCost. If I put <[InvCost] in the CRITERIA section of ActCost is prompts me like it is looking for parameter. Not what I want. I want it to reference my ALIAS of InvCost and do the expression. Thanks

as long as the criteria field comes AFTER the alias that is being evaluated it should run

<[MyAlias]

can you zip a small example if this is not the case

Field ComPrc: Val(Mid$([PoItemMsgTxt],[STRPOS],7))
    Table
    Sort
    Show
    Criteria

Field CstDff: [RevItemListCost]-[RevNetInvoice]
    Table
    Sort
    Show
    Criteria Here is where I want to reference ComPrc, but <[ComPrc] does not work. I thought there was some other way to reference a user field with some other special character not with the brackets

Maybe it is because I use the user definded field name [STRPOS] in the first field and Access cant keep track of it at the second level

Could be - create aliases all the way down the line and see if that eliminates it.

remember - to reference one alias , that alias must come before the next reference to it.