Unanswered: SQLXML xPath query over .XSD

Hi All,

I have a relational hierarchy along the lines of:

Country
    Parent
    Customer
    Authority
    Cost centre

System users either belong to Parents or Customers. I'm issuing an xPath restriction, using SQLXML over an .XSD schema:

"/parent[@parentid='U400410']/customer/authority[@authorityid='U127002']"

Which returns XML for the particular authority:

<authority>
    <costcentre>
    </costcentre>
    </authority>

Could someone please advise me the xPath syntax which would still enable me to restrict to a particular authority as above, but return XML from the top of the hierarchy downwards, i.e:

<country>
    <parent>
    <customer>
    <authority>
    <costcentre>
    </costcentre>
    </authority>
    </customer>
    </parent>
    </country>

Is this even possible? I would really appreciate any help, since this is the last, and very frustrating, puzzle piece I need to complete. (If it's not possible, alternative approaches would be welcome.)

Thanks

Hi

I think you should have to use the "ancestor" or "preceeding" location path. Something like that:

"/parent[@parentid='U400410']/customer/authority[@authorityid='U127002']/preceeding::*"

now i don't remember the exact sysntax, anyway if you download the MSXML 4.0 package from MS, that you can use the that help to search for "Axes".

Hope that this help you.
    Davide

Red face

Thanks a lot for the info Davide, but it appears that the current version of SQLXML (3.0) doesn't support axes, as they're termed. If I use:

'/parent[@parentid='U400410']/customer/authority[@authorityid='U127002']/ancestor::*'

I get:

<?MSSQLError HResult="0x80004005" Source="Microsoft XML Extensions to SQL Server" Description="XPath: the ancestor axis is not supported"?>

If I use:

'/parent[@parentid='U400410']/customer/authority[@authorityid='U127002']/parent::*'

I get:

<?MSSQLError HResult="0x80004005" Source="Microsoft XML Extensions to SQL Server" Description="XPath: the parent axis is not supported on the primary location path"?>

Bummer! Does anyone know how I can work around this?

Ouch!

To work around this probabily you have to do it on your own, using MSXML 4.0.

You may have to write an ASP / ASP.NET pages that takes the XML produced by SQLXML and the process it using MSXML 4.0.

To do this i'll use .NET that with a few lines of code will allow you to get the result you need.
    Davide Mauri
    http://www.davidemauri.it