Red face Unanswered: Server restarts when connecting with SSL 4.0.13 / OpenSSL 0.9.7a / FreeBSD 4.8

Hi all.

I'm wanting to upgrade a development box so that my team and I can use SSL for information-sensitive queries.

I follow all the instructions in the MySQL reference manual, the server compiles perfectly, I restart mysqld (using safe_mysqld --log & ), I log in, grant a test user some privileges, and require them to use SSL (no certificates) using the following queries:

GRANT SELECT on testdb.* to testuser IDENTIFIED BY 'password' REQUIRE SSL;
    FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

i then open SQLyog (its the only way I know how to open an SSL connection to a server), create a new connection to the server, ticking just the SSL encryption tickbox (ie not using compression). I try to connect - and I get an error saying "Error No. 2013. Lost connection to server during query". I open the ssh session and look at the server logs, and the server has restarted itself.

Has anybody had any similar issues? How did they resolve them?

Thanks in advance,
    adam
    Last edited by carneeki; 07-19-03 at 04:33.

ok i've updated to openssl 0.9.7b
    i've opened the error log on the server
    it says that my server might have crashed because it may have ran out of memory (atleast that's how i interpreted the message) however, I doubt it to be true, and it also suggested that there may be a bug in mysql (or even openssl), but i'm feeling pretty much stuck up a creek without a paddle

has anybody else come across anything similar? does anybody have anything further I should investigate that might yield some more information?

adam