Unanswered: Emailing a Form, Preserving Formatting

Hello,

I am using using access 97, and to my knowledge the docmd.sendobject method can not send forms using the snapshot format in 97.

As a result, i am forced to use one of the other formats i.e HTML. The problem with HTML and the other formats is that they do not preserve the nice formatting that i have created on my form.

They place every field at the top side by side which makes me have to scroll horizontally.

Is there a way to incorporate some basic formating, like telling it to start a new line, or leave some spacing when it emails using on of the mentioned formats?

Thanks

silly question: why are you trying to e-mail a form?

izy

Provided Answers: 5
    I agree with izy but you may want to create a report and bind that form to the report and then export to snp format

then email the report.snp

strangely
    docmd.outputto acoutputform .....
    actually exists (A2k) but i guess a report would be better: there's more space on a page than on a screen.

my dox for A95 make no reference to SNP, did it exist in A97 ??

izy

Thanks for your replies folks.

Access 97 does not seem to support the snapshot argument of the docmd.sendobject function which I have been told would do accomplish my goal.

Let me further clarify my situation.

I have created a form with a number of text boxes, labels, list boxes, and two subforms which all change depending on what a user has entered in another form.

I simply wish to have this instance of information sent via email, formatted exactly as i have designed, using whatever method will get the job done.

Thanks very much for your ideas.

as i said, i dont know if SNP works in A97. try it anyway and see if it breaks:
    Code:
    DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, "nameOfTheReport", "Snapshot Format", "drive:/path/path/filename.SNP"
    or ...acOutputForm

izy

For what it's worth....

I use the following in a 97 app that I built:

DoCmd.SendObject acSendReport, StrReport, "Snapshot Format", strSENDLIST, , , strSubject, , False

There's also a "acSendForm" argument, but it returns an error
    related to the Registry when you try to send a form with snapshot.
    From what little documentation that is available for snp, it appears it
    is only useful for reports in Access.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Redneck, your last method works fine with reports. I just want to know if there is a way to dynamically convert an instance of a filled form into a report.

For example, after the form is populated, i want to use code to convert the instance into a report, and then send the report using the info you wrote in your last post. Then every time my application is run and a form is populated i want the newly converted report to over write the old one.

Is this possible?

Thanks for your time.

Build your report based on a query. In the query's criteria, under the column that will link the form and report (eg InvoiceNum), put
    [Forms]![Invoice]![InvoiceNum]

Put an "Email" button on your form, with at least this code

Me.Dirty = False 'save the record
    Docmd.SendObject acSendreport....

This should also work in the form's AfterInsert event, so that you wouldn't have to use a button. I don't know that for sure, though, since
    I've never done anything with that event.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

Thanks for your reply,

I still am not clear about this part:

"under the column that will link the form and report "

Do I just choose any field to link them? I don't intend on storing any of this information after, once it's emailed i don't care about the data any more.

I i am going to create a report for the sole purpose of "piggy packing" the filled out instance of the form, i'm not sure what i should be linking.

What else do i require in that query?

Thanks