Thread: Backup files

Unanswered: Backup files

Hi,
    I have a scheduled maintenance plan for backing up my database.
    I have recently ran out of space and I need to delete some old back up files.

Question:
    if I make a backup of a database (full backup) if I want to restore my databse using the transaction logs I can only go back to the latest backup?
    If so, why should I keep my old backup files?
    Is there any way to tell sql server to overwrite backup files each time it makes a back up and is this a good idea?

thanks
    The intellect is better than desire, for the intellect makes you a king over your destiny, and desire makes you a slave of your destiny.

Re: Backup files

What I have done here is to have two scheduled maintenance plans for backing up. One that runs every 24 hours that overwrites every time, and a second that appends an incremental every three hours. We then store everything on tape for two weeks.

When you set up the job there is a radio button group to select overwrite or append. If you want to edit your job step change NOINIT to INIT and then the job will overwrite.

Originally posted by Sia
    Hi,
    I have a scheduled maintenance plan for backing up my database.
    I have recently ran out of space and I need to delete some old back up files.

Question:
    if I make a backup of a database (full backup) if I want to restore my databse using the transaction logs I can only go back to the latest backup?
    If so, why should I keep my old backup files?
    Is there any way to tell sql server to overwrite backup files each time it makes a back up and is this a good idea?

thanks