Unanswered: Function that seperates text - Like pulling last name out of "John Smith"

Hi. I hope you all are doing well today. I was wondering what the function was that allowed you to pull whole words out of a text field. I have a field of Sales People names, but I want to be able to sort by last name. So I figured I needed to find some way to pull out the last names. So if I had John Smith, Dana Cook, and Randy Harris, I would get Smith, Cook, and Harris. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help,

David

Re: Function that seperates text - Like pulling last name out of "John Smith"

Originally posted by decad1
    Hi. I hope you all are doing well today. I was wondering what the function was that allowed you to pull whole words out of a text field. I have a field of Sales People names, but I want to be able to sort by last name. So I figured I needed to find some way to pull out the last names. So if I had John Smith, Dana Cook, and Randy Harris, I would get Smith, Cook, and Harris. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help,

David
    We have a String Functions example database that includes a "get last word" function. You can download the example database here: http://www.peterssoftware.com/strfn.htm

But you may want to consider if your people may have two word last names like "De Baets". In that case you don't want to end up with "Baets", so here's some more information that should be helpful:

http://www.mvps.org/access/strings/str0001.htm

Hope this helps,
    Peter De Baets
    Peter's Software - Microsoft Access Tools for Developers
    http://www.peterssoftware.com

You can also use a query to get this information, again you will have problems if you have someone with a two word last name. This query field uses a field called PersonName in your table and returns a field called Name.

Name: Mid([PersonName],InStr([PersonName]," ")+1,Len([PersonName])-InStr([PersonName]," "))

You can also use a query to get this information, again you will have problems if you have someone with a two word last name. This query field uses a field called PersonName in your table and returns a field called Name.

Name: Mid([PersonName],InStr([PersonName]," ")+1,Len([PersonName])-InStr([PersonName]," "))

Thanks. That did the trick!