Career in Oracle or J2EE???

Hi All,
    Needed some career advice from you guys.
    I have around 6 years of experience in IT.
    I started off working on Oracle Developer/2000 etc.
    Then,in the IT boom time,due to lack of projects in that area,learnt Java,Servlets,JSP etc and started doing Web Development.
    Overall I have been working on Application Programming side.
    But I feel having lost focus,and would like to concentrate on one area,either Oracle or Java/J2EE and move ahead.
    On Web Development side,I can focus and develop myself as a Web Architect/Java Architect,but I am not too keen to do "CODING" all the time.
    On Oracle side,I feel to progress ahead,I need to learn "Oracle Applications(ERP) or get into Oracle Datawarehousing.,or Oracle DBA.
    Oracle Applications(ERP) seems to interest me.

Need ur advice???

Veeru

Re: Career in Oracle or J2EE???

Originally posted by rv_nri
    Hi All,
    Needed some career advice from you guys.
    I have around 6 years of experience in IT.
    I started off working on Oracle Developer/2000 etc.
    Then,in the IT boom time,due to lack of projects in that area,learnt Java,Servlets,JSP etc and started doing Web Development.
    Overall I have been working on Application Programming side.
    But I feel having lost focus,and would like to concentrate on one area,either Oracle or Java/J2EE and move ahead.
    On Web Development side,I can focus and develop myself as a Web Architect/Java Architect,but I am not too keen to do "CODING" all the time.
    On Oracle side,I feel to progress ahead,I need to learn "Oracle Applications(ERP) or get into Oracle Datawarehousing.,or Oracle DBA.
    Oracle Applications(ERP) seems to interest me.

Need ur advice???

Veeru
    My thinking to maintain job security/employablity would be to get your Oracle DBA. If you go to http://www.dice.com and do a search for Oracle DBA I came back with 533 and at http://www.monster.com/ I came up with 495.

Throw in that is only 4-5 tests to get both 8i and 9i plus that you have some experience that would be a good bedrock to work from. Then throw in that the warehousing or ERP can be extended from your basic DBA and other background would be good. Another one to throw at you is maybe to get an MCP on MS SQL 2K. If you know Oracle, MSSQL is a cakewalk relatively. Many companies now have 2-5 different DB servers/engines. Just look at my tagline.

Just my 2 centavos......
    Jim P.

Supoorting Oracle, MSSQL7, Sybase 8, & Pervasive. Confusion Reigns

Thumbs up

HI,

Now Oracle Apps is doing good. There are lots of opportunities in this area. Since you have already worked in Oracle Developer/2000 etc, it'll be easy for you to continue in this line. If you are good in Oracle Developer/2000 , there won't be much problem in learning APPS. In future you can become a good Consultant.
    SATHISH .

Funny thing to see this post. I came here for almost the same reason. The difference with me is that i'm still in college and trying to figure which way to go. I'm about a year and a half from recceiving my CIT degree. My main concern now is all the outsourcing that is heading overseas.

What areas do you think are the most outsourcing-proff? I'm really leaning towards databases (which is why I sometimes read this board), but I also have networking as an option. I'm not really fond of programming, but I know they have about one million programmers in India anyway.

Any opinions?

fisk