Question Unanswered: Trying to connect to a DB2 Stored Procedure from Java

Hi, I'm trying to connect to a DB2 Stored Procedure which has input and output parameters - and return the result to a ResultSet. I'm getting an SQLException with the message "No ResultSet was produced". Here's the code:

// Connection to database - not actual method of connection - but the connecting to the database seems to work fine.

Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:odbc:my_database _name");

// Preparing the callable statement

CallableStatement call = con.prepareCall("{call procedure_name(?, ?, ?, ?)}");

call.setInt(1, 3);
    call.setInt(2, 1567); //Examples of my input values

call.registerOutParameter(3, Types.INTEGER);
    call.registerOutParameter(4, Types.CHAR); //Examples of my output values

// Actually execute the call - return the results to a Result Set

ResultSet rs = call.executeQuery(); // This is the point my exception occurs

// Afterwards I would retrieve the data returned

int outParmOne = rs.getInt(3);
    int outParmTwo = rs.getString(4);

The owner of the DB2 system can see my procedure call and sets his output variables accordingly - but I always get the No ResultSet error. When I do the simple rs.execute() - I get false returned (i.e. no ResultSet available).

I'm not quite sure how the whole thing should work. If I were to call the Stored Procedure through COBOL for example - I'd declare some host variables and send them as the output parameters (3 and 4) - and they'd get updated by the procedure. How does Java turn this into a ResultSet?

The stored procedure is setup with the following options:
    dynamic result sets 0
    modifies sql data language C
    external name 'external_name'
    fenced
    parameter style db2dari
    program type sub
    no dbinfo ;
    disconnect <database> ;

Would these have anything to do with it?

Hope I've provided enough information - I'm quite stumped!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by joeldixon66; 07-22-03 at 03:41.

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Trying to connect to a DB2 Stored Procedure from Java

Originally posted by joeldixon66

call.registerOutParameter(3, Types.INTEGER);
    call.registerOutParameter(4, Types.CHAR);
    ResultSet rs = call.executeQuery();
    int outParmOne = rs.getInt(3);
    int outParmTwo = rs.getString(4);

I believe that result set does not equal to the return parameters. To fetch return parameters you need to use CallableStatement.getInt(); if your procedure returns a cursor you then should obtain it by using CallableStatement.getResultSet().

You may want to have a look at the DB2 Application Development Guide - there's a good explanation and examples of calling stored procedures.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Nick,

Thanks a lot for that - it worked!! You're right - the method I was using is required when a Cursor (result set) is being returned from the Stored Procedure.

Have a great day!

Joel