Unanswered: estimating db size

hi,
    what parameers should be considered for estimating the size of a database.Rather how do we estmate the size of a database.

Regards
    Kaushik

DB Size

Hi
    If you use TOAD, it would be very easy to find out the estimated table size, indexes size and other information correspoding to your DB.

You could download a month free of TOAD trial version.
    Thanx and Regards
    Aruneesh

Re: DB Size

Originally posted by aruneeshsalhotr
    Hi
    If you use TOAD, it would be very easy to find out the estimated table size, indexes size and other information correspoding to your DB.

You could download a month free of TOAD trial version.
    Thanx and Regards
    Aruneesh
    Thanx for u r reply.But incase manually i need to do the estimation exactly what all parameters should i consider for estimating the size of my db

Regards
    Kaushik

Hi,

For table/index space sizes, this is a script I use. You will have to change all of the 'update' statements in the middle to reflect your actual table names. It can then give you an estimation of actual size.

It's not complete, you may have to run it a few times to get the results you want, for example
    - Calculating initial extent sizes
    - Calculating total extents (sizes)

The general rule of thumb (I've been told) is that in a transactional environment - you should allocate initial extents to each table large enough to cover 12 months of data. Of course, each instance is unique so you'll have to experiment and play with it.

Hth
    Bill
    Attached Files Attached Files

Originally posted by billm
    Hi,

For table/index space sizes, this is a script I use. You will have to change all of the 'update' statements in the middle to reflect your actual table names. It can then give you an estimation of actual size.

It's not complete, you may have to run it a few times to get the results you want, for example
    - Calculating initial extent sizes
    - Calculating total extents (sizes)

The general rule of thumb (I've been told) is that in a transactional environment - you should allocate initial extents to each table large enough to cover 12 months of data. Of course, each instance is unique so you'll have to experiment and play with it.

Hth
    Bill

hi,
    Thanx for the script.

Regards
    Kaushik