Unanswered: Oracle as a Data Warehouse

I am very new to oracle admin and would like to set up oracle on a WinXP Pro machine. The db will rarely be accessed as it will be used primarily to store research. I've been told that I can install oracle sas a data warehouse. Is there a resource that I can check out in order to gain step-by-step installation instructions for someone like me who has never installed oracle previously.

Thanks in advance for the help,
    J

Arrow Oracle Installation

Hi
    Are you using the trial version or the full version of Oracle.
    If you happen to have a full paid version of Oracle, then the installation of Oracle would be detailed with the software.

If it is a trial version, downloaded off the net, use the following information
    1. 32-bit Windows XP Professional Edition is supported by Oracle9i and Oracle9i Release 2 Enterprise Edition, Standard Edition, Personal Edition, and Client. 64-bit Windows XP will be supported by 64-bit Oracle9i Release 2. Oracle8i Release 3 Client provides limited support for Windows XP.
    2. http://itom.fau.edu/sgalup/Installin...0with%20P4.htm

Hope this helps.
    Thanx and Regards
    Aruneesh

thanks for the speedy reply,

Since this will be a university research project, I have access to a paid version of Oracle. I believe it's called a concurrent user site license. However, I do not have cd's as we simply d/l off the oracle site. Is there an online version of the installation details that you mentioned?

Thanks again,
    J

Arrow Look at the attachment

Kindly go through the attached PDF file with the steps involved.

Thanx and Regards
    Aruneesh
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for that. Can you explain the difference between Enterprise, Standard and Personal Edition Installations? Also, my software admin has given me our universities sid. On the screen where I enter the Global Database Name and the SID, what do I enter for the GDN since I have a SID.

Thanks,
    J

Global Database Name

You may use the SID as the GDN. Atleast that is what we follow here.

I myself I am not sure on the differences between the 3 versions, but it depends on the kind of functionality you want from the server.

I presume a personal edition would be suitable for your setup, as it doesnt involve mutiple users, and high concurrent activity.

Thanx and Regards
    Aruneesh

If you want to explore data warehousing on Oracle, you need the Enterprise Edition -- it has many features not included in standard or personal that are specifically aimed at DW

For a full list of differences between the version, see http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...edit.htm#73594

thanks for the article slim.