Unanswered: The Oracle Export Utility executable must be specified

Hi
    This is first time I am using TOAD to perform export on a table, and writing the contents into a .dat file.
    But after selecting the tables, and providing the output filename, when I press Finish (to build the export file), I get the error

"The Oracle Export Utility executable must be specified".

I am not sure how to get rid of this error. Isnt the export utility a part of TOAD. Is there any configuration required.

Thanx and Regards
    Aruneesh

Arrow Export utility

I found an article that the commands exp and imp are the export and import utilities.

I wanted to know how I can set those commands in my TOAD.
    My TOAD is installed on the PC, whereas my oracle is installed on a linux box.

Youre response would be appreciated.
    Thanx and Regards
    Aruneesh

exp.exe and imp.exe are Oracle supplied Tools. They're sometimes called "exp<version>.exe etc" The menu option on Toad is just an interface to these Tools.

TOAD doesn't know where to find them, hence the error.

Find the TOAD options menu and set a path to these two programs. Unfortunately Quest software are really, really good at moving the menu options around as they see fit, so I couldn't begin to tell you on which menu you'd find it. In later versions of TOAD there are actually two different menu options for different sets of configuration options. It's a dream (nightmare) of config options.

Actually, they move them so much I couldn't even tell you on which menu I'd find it on my own version. That's bloat/obfuscation extreme :-) I'll definately write NEWT one day.

Hth
    Bill

P.S. - the path to these two programs must reside on your local XP PC, not on the linux box.

Cheers
    Bill

Path of exp.exe and imp.exe

Hi
    I have yet another question to this regards.

I have installed the Oracle Client on my PC. I am too sure if the exp.exe and imp.exe come along with the oracle client for windows or not (As I did a search on exp.exe in the C drive, and nothing came up).

Any ideas ???
    Thanx and Regards
    Aruneesh

Different client versions (and whether you choose custom install or not) will or will not install exp.exe and imp.exe.

I'm afraid I couldn't tell you for certain how to make sure this gets installed with the client.

Cheers
    Bill

Export Command Completed

Hi
    I installed additional products from the Oracle Client installation.
    I didnt have to change anything in TOAD, and not find anything like the configuration menu.
    I was finally able to export the tables successfully.

Thanx for your help.
    Thanx and Regards
    Aruneesh

Yes, one area where TOAD is good is at examining your Oracle installation and determining it's version/home/vailidity. I guess it worked out your EXP/IMP locations by itself.

+1 point to Quest software! I suppose I can't keep bashing TOAD all of the time (says a 24/7 TOAD user :-)

Cheers
    Bill

Smile Re: Path of exp.exe and imp.exe

Originally posted by aruneeshsalhotr
    Hi
    I have yet another question to this regards.

I have installed the Oracle Client on my PC. I am too sure if the exp.exe and imp.exe come along with the oracle client for windows or not (As I did a search on exp.exe in the C drive, and nothing came up).

Any ideas ???
    Thanx and Regards
    Aruneesh

You get the exp and imp even with the Oracle Client installation. Check the ORACLE_HOME\bin directory carefully.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
    OCP - DBA
    Visit our Web Site