Thread: Design Issue

Design Issue

I am designing a web interface that attaches to a database. I am having trouble on a design issue. The database is set up with three tables (more), but three for this problem. They are person, customer, employee. Both customer and employee link back to person. When doing the interface and adding information I am trying to figure out the best way to make sure duplicates are not done. Primary key is randomly generated at the time of addition. The issue is if someone adds a record into an employee simultaneously adding a record into person, and then wants to add the person as a resident at a later date I do not want to person records with the same information. Same problem in reverse too.

Re: Design Issue

Originally posted by cmptrguru7
    I am designing a web interface that attaches to a database. I am having trouble on a design issue. The database is set up with three tables (more), but three for this problem. They are person, customer, employee. Both customer and employee link back to person. When doing the interface and adding information I am trying to figure out the best way to make sure duplicates are not done. Primary key is randomly generated at the time of addition. The issue is if someone adds a record into an employee simultaneously adding a record into person, and then wants to add the person as a resident at a later date I do not want to person records with the same information. Same problem in reverse too.
    People are hard to ensure uniqueness with: 2 people can have exactly the same name (AND same date of birth). Also, same person could be entered twice, once as "John Smith" and once as "J W Smith". Best you can do is check for potential duplicates using some fuzzy comparisons, and ask user to decide whether they are the same person or not.

Re: Design Issue

Originally posted by andrewst
    People are hard to ensure uniqueness with: 2 people can have exactly the same name (AND same date of birth). Also, same person could be entered twice, once as "John Smith" and once as "J W Smith". Best you can do is check for potential duplicates using some fuzzy comparisons, and ask user to decide whether they are the same person or not.
    Thanks for the help