Unanswered: sql as parameter or variable

Lets say I do a Remote Procedure Call. So there is Server1 and Server2... How do I pass the results of a select statement as a parameter over to another stored procedure so it can use it...

I really am going to need a short example as I don't have any clue and I need to see what is being done. I can't find examples of this anywhere. The example can be as simple as this (although my statements are going to be COMPLETELY botched cause I have NO IDEA what the statements should look like, but you should be able to follow.

Create procedure procedure1 as
    declare @thevariable
    select * into @thevariable from tbl
    exec procedure2 @thevariable

create procedure procedure2 as
    select * from @thevariable

Something to the liking... something simple! If anyone could do that for me oh my god that would make my LIFE!!!!!!!! You have no idea how long I've been trying to figure out ways to approach this project and if something like this would work... EVERYTHING WOULD BE AMAZING!

Re: sql as parameter or variable

Hi there,

You can use Select Into to save dataset into table, not variable, therefore you can not pass this variable as parameter. What you need is cursor that will call your second sp as many times as there are records in your table (from Select Inot statement). So it should look something like:

Create Proc mk1sp_Proc1 As
    Declare @var varchar(50)
    Declare cur_MyCursor Cursor For
    Select MyValue From MyTable

Open cur_MyCursor

Fetch Next from cur_MyCursor Into @var

While ( @@fetch_status <> -1 )
    Begin
    Exec mk1sp_Proc2 @var
    End

Fetch Next from cur_MyCursor Into @var

Close cur_MyCursor
    Deallocate cur_MyCursor
    Go

Create Proc mk1sp_Proce2 as
    Go

Good luck, Marin

Originally posted by justastef
    Lets say I do a Remote Procedure Call. So there is Server1 and Server2... How do I pass the results of a select statement as a parameter over to another stored procedure so it can use it...

I really am going to need a short example as I don't have any clue and I need to see what is being done. I can't find examples of this anywhere. The example can be as simple as this (although my statements are going to be COMPLETELY botched cause I have NO IDEA what the statements should look like, but you should be able to follow.

Create procedure procedure1 as
    declare @thevariable
    select * into @thevariable from tbl
    exec procedure2 @thevariable

create procedure procedure2 as

Something to the liking... something simple! If anyone could do that for me oh my god that would make my LIFE!!!!!!!! You have no idea how long I've been trying to figure out ways to approach this project and if something like this would work... EVERYTHING WOULD BE AMAZING!