Unanswered: MySQL Size limit

Was looking through the site and couldn't find this answered anywhere so here goes...

What is the max size of a given MySQL database?

I've heard people say that performance begin to degrade after around 4 Gigs, but I've never read it. Can anyone offer up an answer?

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 1

Re: MySQL Size limit

Originally posted by tnields
    Was looking through the site and couldn't find this answered anywhere so here goes...

What is the max size of a given MySQL database?

I've heard people say that performance begin to degrade after around 4 Gigs, but I've never read it. Can anyone offer up an answer?

Thanks.
    Depends on OS, filesystem, tablespace structure and table type...

Originally posted by bstjean
    Depends on OS, filesystem, tablespace structure and table type...
    Thanks for the reply,

I would be running a Linux8.0/9.0 OS. I haven't decide on InnoDB or MyISAM yet. From what I've read InnoDB seems to allow for larger tables due to the use of table space.

Not sure if this gives you enough information. I realize there are certain limititations placed on MySQL to OS file size limits, but just curious of size of database. I'm looking to design a CMS. Not sure if I should use MySQL or Postgres. My main concern is the size of the database as time goes by.

Provided Answers: 1

Originally posted by tnields
    Thanks for the reply,

I would be running a Linux8.0/9.0 OS. I haven't decide on InnoDB or MyISAM yet. From what I've read InnoDB seems to allow for larger tables due to the use of table space.

Not sure if this gives you enough information. I realize there are certain limititations placed on MySQL to OS file size limits, but just curious of size of database. I'm looking to design a CMS. Not sure if I should use MySQL or Postgres. My main concern is the size of the database as time goes by.
    Don't know about the limitations on your OS/filesystem but:

With MyISAM, every table is stored in a file so your practical limit is the size your filesystem can support. You can circumvent that limit by using MERGE tables.

With InnoDb, your tablespaces are limited by size your filesystem can support. You can circumvent that limit by creating multiple tablespaces.

The best place to ask would be on the mailing list... A few guys from the Genome project are active on it... So if they use MySQL to store their data, I'm pretty sure MySQL can handle anything!

P.S. I am assuming you meant Linux RedHat 8.0/9.0 right? What filesystem are you running?