Unanswered: Sybase ASA vs. MSDE - What to choose?

I must now choose between the Sybase ASA and Microsoft MSDE database engines. Currently I am in favour of MSDE because for 500 USD I get:

1. Freely redistributable engine WITH NETWORK SUPPORT.
    2. It can be DISTRIBUTED with any kind of application (I do not know if the similar Sybase licence allows to use ASA with something else than Power Builder application).

Am I missing something? Any comments on the stability of the systems?

eng. Atanas Atanassov
    triniti-soft@dir.bg
    Last edited by allmax; 07-24-03 at 09:51.

Re: Sybase ASA vs. MSDE - What to choose?

Originally posted by allmax
    1. Freely redistributable engine WITH NETWORK SUPPORT.
    2. It can be used with any kind of application (I do not know if the similar Sybase licence allows to use ASA with something else than Power Builder application).
    1) Ok, ASA is not free, but MSDE is optimized for only 5 concurrent connections. ASA has more Java capabilities.
    2) ASA is linkable with any application using JDBC/JConnect/ODBC driver.

Originally posted by fadace
    1) Ok, ASA is not free, but MSDE is optimized for only 5 concurrent connections. ASA has more Java capabilities.
    2) ASA is linkable with any application using JDBC/JConnect/ODBC driver.
    Tx for answering. What means "optimized for only 5 concurrent"? 5 concurrent requests (at the same time), if so it's ok for me, or 5 concurrent connections?

My second point was that MSDE is DISTRIBUTABLE with any kind of appliaction, while (???) ASA only with Power Builder applications?

1.ASA is not free. The ASA in PB is only for develop.
    ASA network server could workWITH NETWORK SUPPORT

2.ASA could work on almost every platform, such as Unix,Linux,Windows,Win CE. MSDE work only on windows.

Originally posted by ianywhere

2.ASA could work on almost every platform, such as Unix,Linux,Windows,Win CE. MSDE work only on windows.
    Aren't ASA DBs moveable between platforms? So when you out grow MS Winnt you can move to Linux or Solaris.

ASA DB files are platform independent starting ASA 8.0 onwards. You can move the file to any supported platform UNIX<--> NT <--> LINUX.

ASA comes with a standalone engine which is similar to MSDE(with similar capabilities). This comes with the Power Builder package, however should also be available through other packaging.

ASA standalone engine can also be purchased seperately and distributed unlimited across the enterprise. I think it costs like $40 a pop.

Cheers,

Willy