Unanswered: Creating publication hangs server

What are the actions performed by SQL Server when it creates a new publication or alters a previously created publication?

The reason I ask is because when I perform the above actions on a specific production database the server completely hangs. The tables are not large, maybe 5000 rows. I cannot delete the subscriptions either as this hangs the server too. Using any of the supplied stored procedures also has the same effect.

As this is a production environment I really don't want to do this too often.

Thanks

Gavin

Re: Creating publication hangs server

My dear friend. I have same problem on a clustered production system. Try this for start. When Creating publication, choose only one or two small tables at a time to create articles. Start snap shot and generate and apply changes to replicated server. Once ok. Start the same thing for other tables. If this works then u are good to go....

Originally posted by gmb72
    What are the actions performed by SQL Server when it creates a new publication or alters a previously created publication?

The reason I ask is because when I perform the above actions on a specific production database the server completely hangs. The tables are not large, maybe 5000 rows. I cannot delete the subscriptions either as this hangs the server too. Using any of the supplied stored procedures also has the same effect.

As this is a production environment I really don't want to do this too often.

Thanks

Gavin