Exclamation Unanswered: General DB2 question

Hi,

I am new to the DB2 world. We have two server setup in a hot-standby, high availability mode using MSCS (Microsoft Clustering Service) with Server A as Primary server and Server B as a secondry server. DB2 is part of the Cluster group which includes (cluster NIC, Quorum disk and data storage disk - external storage enclosure) The question I have is that our in-house application uses DNS to connect to the database. When we had only one server, the database was local and didn't take too much to configure the DNS for the database. However, now because the database might be on a seperate machine than where the app is running, we need to use the Cluster IP address to configure the DNS. What I am confused about is do I need to install DB2 client V8 on both the server so that when the DB is running on Server A, server B can connect to the DB via the client. Is the client necessary, or what work around is there. I know this small paragraph might not be enough, but I am not sure what else to mention. If you need further clerification, please don't hesitate to ask me. You help is much appreciate and thank you for your time in advance.

Dave

Re: General DB2 question

If you have a server installed, all your client components are already there ... So, on server B you need not install the client ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by dsingh
    Hi,

I am new to the DB2 world. We have two server setup in a hot-standby, high availability mode using MSCS (Microsoft Clustering Service) with Server A as Primary server and Server B as a secondry server. DB2 is part of the Cluster group which includes (cluster NIC, Quorum disk and data storage disk - external storage enclosure) The question I have is that our in-house application uses DNS to connect to the database. When we had only one server, the database was local and didn't take too much to configure the DNS for the database. However, now because the database might be on a seperate machine than where the app is running, we need to use the Cluster IP address to configure the DNS. What I am confused about is do I need to install DB2 client V8 on both the server so that when the DB is running on Server A, server B can connect to the DB via the client. Is the client necessary, or what work around is there. I know this small paragraph might not be enough, but I am not sure what else to mention. If you need further clerification, please don't hesitate to ask me. You help is much appreciate and thank you for your time in advance.

Dave
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Re: General DB2 question

Sathyaram, thank you for responding. another thing that might be helpful in understanding the configuration is that because of DB2 requirment for clustering, I had to drop "DB2" node from Server B. The way it works is, when Server A fails, the "DB2" instance of server A is transfered to Server B. In such case, if my application is still running on Server A, the JDBC will be looking for a database on local computer, which is not valid anymore. This is what make me thing that rather than using the name of the database or normal DB2 created DNS must be reconfigured to utilise the IP address of the cluster. Again, I am new to DB2. Thank you again.

Dave

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    If you have a server installed, all your client components are already there ... So, on server B you need not install the client ...

Cheers

Sathyaram