Unanswered: database move and upgrade/migration question

Here is what we are trying to accomplish:

Install DB2 UDB 8.1 database server with FP2 and new DB2 8.1 clients on new IBM RS6000 AIX 5.2 servers.

Move current DB2 7.2 database and clients over to new servers that have DB2 8.1 installed on AIX 5.2.

Migration and upgrade the old databases (V7.2) to new version 8.1 DB2 UDB Database.

I usually dont have to move databases from one machine to another system and then upgrade. Any tips on how to do this? Thanks gurus.

Scott

I would do a BACKUP of the 7.2 database and then RESTORE DATABASE on the machine with DB2 8.1.2 installed. Probably will need to do use the REDIRECT option. When the restore is performed, DB2 automatically converts the database to version 8 format.

Thanks one more quick question

Sounds good. I would need to extract the DDL for the old 7.2 UDB database and build the new DB2 UDB 8.1.2 DB based upon the old DDL structures, correct? I can use db2look to generate the database structures. Will look into redirected restore as option as this might be easier than performing the whole upgrade process which can get quite complicated.

Thanks
    Scott

You should not have to create the new database before restoring it, or to run any DDL before hand. Check out the RESTORE DATABASE command. You can test it with the sample database (don't create the sample database during installation). Or you can restore a DB to a new DB name (SAMPLE2) even if it is different than the DB name backed up (SAMPLE).

testing

Thanks Marcus for the info.

We will first test this on our sandbox. After upgrading the OS to AIX 5.2L 32 bit we will install DB2 UDB 8.1.2 and then perform redirected restore from our development DB2 system into the sandbox with 8.1.2. I'll keep you posted on things go. If nothing else I will write a whitepaper since none exist on how to upgrade DB2. IBM uses piecemeal documentation in my opinion on performing complex upgrades. Why? I think that it is to make serious profit for IBM Global Services to provide consulting $$$ profit.