Unanswered: Define PRIMARY KEY as CLUSTER

Hi

I use UDB 8.1 / Unix/Windows. I want to define a foreign key on table B which references table A AND to have the key from table A as CLUSTER.

ALTER TABLE A
    ADD CONSTRAINT A_KEY
    PRIMARY KEY (A_ID)

ALTER TABLE B
    ADD CONSTRAINT B_KEY
    PRIMARY KEY (B_ID)
    ADD CONSTRAINT B_REF_1
    FOREIGN KEY (A_ID)
    REFERENCES A
    ON DELETE CASCADE

How can I define A_KEY as CLUSTER

Marc

Provided Answers: 5

Re: Define PRIMARY KEY as CLUSTER

Marc,
    First it can be done.

1) create cluster,unique index on table A that will be the primary key
    2) create the primary key
    3) create the foreign key.

That being stated, I would have to question why you want to cluster on a unique value. Clustering allows DB2 to be able to use prefetching more efficiently, which means it works best when you have a low cardinality on the values being clustered. Unique values have a high cardinality (in respect to the total number of rows). In using clustering, you want DB2 to physically group together data that is generally accessed together. This is a big boon to performance. Using high cardinality clustering can actually will kill performance in some circumstances.

I am not saying not to set up the primary key as a cluster, just make sure there are no other indexes that would benifit better from clustering.

HTH

Andy

Originally posted by c149187
    Hi

I use UDB 8.1 / Unix/Windows. I want to define a foreign key on table B which references table A AND to have the key from table A as CLUSTER.

ALTER TABLE A
    ADD CONSTRAINT A_KEY
    PRIMARY KEY (A_ID)

ALTER TABLE B
    ADD CONSTRAINT B_KEY
    PRIMARY KEY (B_ID)
    ADD CONSTRAINT B_REF_1
    FOREIGN KEY (A_ID)
    REFERENCES A
    ON DELETE CASCADE

How can I define A_KEY as CLUSTER

Marc

Hi Andy

We have a data-warehouse-like application.

Table A = UserSearchCriteria, PrimaryKey: UserId, SearchNr
    Table B = UserSearchResults, PrimaryKey: UserId, SearchNr, SequenceNr
    <other tables with customer data>

The user can dynamically (at runtime) create a SQL-search (table A) on customer data and save the results (up to 10000 records , table B). If there are a lof of concurrent users, the INSERTs are slow, because all users put their data at the end of the file at the same time.

So, I want to force UDB NOT to put the data at the same position. I do this by :
    1). CLUSTER-Index on UserId, SearchNr
    2). CLUSTER-Index on UserId, SearchNr, SequenceNr
    3) Both indexes must have a high FREESPACE (PCTFREE)
    4) REORG
    -> When user 1 with PKey abc inserts data, and user 2 with PKey xyz at the same time, too, so UDB avoids a "HotSpot" at the end of file by trying to place the data at different positions. I made tests, and I could significantly improve performance on mass-INSERTS with concurrent users.

I think, I will also benefit from PREFETCH on table A and B, because I search just with a part of the PKey (Table A: UserId, Table B: UserId, SearchNr), therefore having a lower cardinality.

Marc

Marc,
    I must of misunderstood your original post. You want to cluster Table B on the foreign key to Table A? I thought you meant to cluster table A on its primary key. By all means cluster B the way you want it. Another
    way you maybe able to increase performance on mass inserts is to use a DMS tablespace for the tables.

HTH

Andy

Hi Andy

We have a data-warehouse-like application.

Table A = UserSearchCriteria, PrimaryKey: UserId, SearchNr
    Table B = UserSearchResults, PrimaryKey: UserId, SearchNr, SequenceNr
    <other tables with customer data>

The user can dynamically (at runtime) create a SQL-search (table A) on customer data and save the results (up to 10000 records , table B). If there are a lof of concurrent users, the INSERTs are slow, because all users put their data at the end of the file at the same time.

So, I want to force UDB NOT to put the data at the same position. I do this by :
    1). CLUSTER-Index on UserId, SearchNr
    2). CLUSTER-Index on UserId, SearchNr, SequenceNr
    3) Both indexes must have a high FREESPACE (PCTFREE)
    4) REORG
    -> When user 1 with PKey abc inserts data, and user 2 with PKey xyz at the same time, too, so UDB avoids a "HotSpot" at the end of file by trying to place the data at different positions. I made tests, and I could significantly improve performance on mass-INSERTS with concurrent users.

I think, I will also benefit from PREFETCH on table A and B, because I search just with a part of the PKey (Table A: UserId, Table B: UserId, SearchNr), therefore having a lower cardinality.

Marc

First, a correction:

FALSE: Table B = UserSearchResults, PrimaryKey: UserId, SearchNr, SequenceNr
    RIGHT:Table B = UserSearchResults, PrimaryKey: SequenceNr (identity column), CLUSTER index: UserId, SearchNr

I also want to cluster table A, but I think this wouldn't be necessary, whereas in the case of table B, it would be.

- What's about db2empfa (Enable Multi-page File Allocation) for SMS tablespaces. Can it be recommended ?

- APPEND ON: Does this option not cause concurrency problems

Marc

Marc,
    I do not have any experience with db2empfa as well as append mode.
    Although according to the manual, append mode may increase performance, especially if no deletes are ever performed. I am fairly certain the IBM would efficiently handle concurrency issues here. The very next paragraph in the manual mentions your method of using the cluster index for insert performance.

Andy

First, a correction:

FALSE: Table B = UserSearchResults, PrimaryKey: UserId, SearchNr, SequenceNr
    RIGHT:Table B = UserSearchResults, PrimaryKey: SequenceNr (identity column), CLUSTER index: UserId, SearchNr

I also want to cluster table A, but I think this wouldn't be necessary, whereas in the case of table B, it would be.

- What's about db2empfa (Enable Multi-page File Allocation) for SMS tablespaces. Can it be recommended ?

- APPEND ON: Does this option not cause concurrency problems

Marc

I do not think append and clustrering can coexist well. If I understand correctly, they are completly different by nature.

Append on - will insert records after HWM (no searching for the free space on the page).
    Cluster - will try to insert records next to each other(index over the time can become not clustered) .

regards,
    dmitri

Hi

I think, UDB does not permit to create a table with APPEND ON and an index that is defined as CLUSTER.

Marc