Unanswered: storing attachments in database

I am working on a project that requires storing files in the database. I am considering two approaches:

1. Store the files as blobs in the database. This approach would take advantage of database backup and recovery.

2. Store pointers to the files in the database. The files would reside in a File System. This would reduce database size.

I am trying to determine if there are any performance advantages to using either approach. Storing pointers seems to be the trend. Also, the dba has mentioned Oracle Internet File System to me. We are moving from Oracle 8i to Oracle 9i and he thinks that in 9i Oracle Internet File System has been moved to the application server and we only use the database server so the Oracle Internet File System would not be available to us. Is this true, and if so, what are the logical storage alternatives if we choose the File System approach?

Arrow Attachments in DB

Hi
    I was also struggling with the same issue for a document system.
    I was went the same path as you, I considered having Oracle iFS for storing the attachment, storing the attachments in Oracle.

Since my requirement, also involved revisions of the document, it would have been quite intensive on the DB to store the information in BLOBs, so I decided to store the attachments on the disk and store the path in the DB.

It would be faster to read off the disk, and take the path off the DB.
    If you need more answers on this, please feel free to discuss the same by sending me an email or private message.

Thanx and Regards
    Aruneesh

Arrow Javazoom

Hi
    Kindly try using Javazoom, which is good for doing sorts of file store in Oracle.
    You could tweak this package to either upload files, or store files in BFILE in Oracle.
    Thanx and Regards
    Aruneesh