Thread: Split database

Question Unanswered: Split database

Hi all,

I'm having a hard time on searching for the infromation that I need. I've been through a lot on this board.

The main issue is front end and back end.
    How do I get more then one front end?

Let's say I open my datbase, (the database is on the host computer which is a work station) then I do a database split, the wizzard ask where to save the back end. I tried saving it to the same folder and I also tried it in a different folder on the same computer (the host). Same results.

Which is best? or does it matter?

So with a split database on the host computer, I should now have a fe and a be.

Ok

I know I need to open the fe on the host and it will appear to be the one I work with on the host computer.

Now my problem is how do you copy a fe for one or two more computers on a network? Do you just copy the same fe off the host or do you somehow create a different fe for each computer.

If there is a good post or a guide. In this forums please let me know.

Thanks,
    rham

When you split a db you will end up with two files: one with the same name as the original and the second usually named as the first + _be. Those two files are linked throught a table link. You can move the FE wherever you like providing that you always re-link the table with linked table manager or an appropriate vb code. You can duplicate the FE many times and distribute it on your network. If you use as path for linked table an absolute path you won't need to re-link the tables. You can even create a new FE that's related to linked table. This time you should go to the file menu and link the external tables.

Before doing all these operations, I would recommend to backup your original not split database, just in case you mess things up.

Hope this helps!
    Marco
    ---Do not send e-mail---
    "New Big Bang Theory: God said unzip universe"

<<
    Do you just copy the same fe off the host or do you somehow create a different fe for each computer.
    >>

Just copy it perhaps in Windows Explorer.
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

Originally posted by Bullschmidt
    <<
    Do you just copy the same fe off the host or do you somehow create a different fe for each computer.
    >>

Just copy it perhaps in Windows Explorer.

Just copy it with Windows Explorer. Actually I created an installer and distribute it through the company intranet.
    Marco
    ---Do not send e-mail---
    "New Big Bang Theory: God said unzip universe"

Thanks Marco,

Everything is working Perfect,

Again thanks,

rham