Question Unanswered: Why do you need DB2 client?

Hi,

I am new to DB2. The question I have is why do you need DB2 client. Lets say I have the following configuration...

Server 1 running windows 2000 adv server and DB2 V8
    Server 2 running Windoes 2000 Adv Server and running Websphere Application server and HTTP server. Also running a Java application which access data from Server 1 via http.

How will a DB2 client fit into all of this??? I know this is a very basic question, but I am confused.

Dave

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Why do you need DB2 client?

Originally posted by dsingh

Server 1 running windows 2000 adv server and DB2 V8
    Server 2 running Windoes 2000 Adv Server and running Websphere Application server and HTTP server. Also running a Java application which access data from Server 1 via http.

How will a DB2 client fit into all of this???
    DB2 Client contains the CLI (native) driver that enables communication between the client system (in your case, app. server) and the DB2 server. It also contains Java libraries that implement JDBC through native calls to the CLI driver.

You don't need to install GUI tools (Command Center, Control Center, et al.) on the client machine. However, you'll probably need to install these tools somewhere anyway - they'll make DB2 administration and software development easier.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

You do not need db2 client, if all you use for db access is JDBC. You need only 2 java zip/jar files.
    In v7 there is type 3 driver (requires extra daemon/service), in v8 Ibm implemented type 4 driver

regards,
    dmitri

On more thing, you do need db2 client if you plan to use type 2 JDBC driver - COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver