Unanswered: Performance Mysql Vs Oracle

hi techies

About the Database Performance metrics of Mysql compared with that of Oracle (ie DB addition time, DB fetching Time, DB updation Time)

1. Mysql will be faster than Oracle when the number of rows/tables/Database size is of smaller magnitude. IS this right ?

2. But in the longeun Mysql metrics will slowdown when compared to Oracle, when the number of rows/ tables/database size is of bigger magnitude. Is this right?

3. Can u help with the reasons for the above two conditions? If u have ne Performacne report links/ white papers on this kindly refer me.

Thank u guys
    jegan

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Performance Mysql Vs Oracle

Originally posted by jegan
    hi techies

About the Database Performance metrics of Mysql compared with that of Oracle (ie DB addition time, DB fetching Time, DB updation Time)

1. Mysql will be faster than Oracle when the number of rows/tables/Database size is of smaller magnitude. IS this right ?

2. But in the longeun Mysql metrics will slowdown when compared to Oracle, when the number of rows/ tables/database size is of bigger magnitude. Is this right?

3. Can u help with the reasons for the above two conditions? If u have ne Performacne report links/ white papers on this kindly refer me.

Thank u guys
    jegan
    There are a few papers available on the net on this subject.

For instance:
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,293,00.asp
    http://www.mysql.com/information/benchmarks.html

I use both on pretty large databases (a few tables of over 65 million records) and MySQL usually has comparable performance with Oracle with less hardware... And it's way cheaper!

Just google for "Oracle MySQL comparison benchmarks"

Btw, DB2 fan here...