Question Unanswered: ASA 6.0.3 Connection Problems

Hi,

after migration to a new server, my ASA 6.0.3 service sometimes doesn't get any connection request, while tcp/ip works well. Clients show: 'Database Server not running'.
    After restarting the service, connections work properly.
    Service runs on a dedicated server with HP-Network(Teaming) under w2k server.
    Has anyone heard about this Problem or could give me an idea of solving this??
    Thanks, tonie

Re: ASA 6.0.3 Connection Problems

Originally posted by tonie
    Hi,

after migration to a new server, my ASA 6.0.3 service sometimes doesn't get any connection request, while tcp/ip works well. Clients show: 'Database Server not running'.
    After restarting the service, connections work properly.
    Service runs on a dedicated server with HP-Network(Teaming) under w2k server.
    Has anyone heard about this Problem or could give me an idea of solving this??
    Thanks, tonie
    Is this all clients?
    Can the clients connect to the server in other ways - Windows networking, telnet etc?
    Can you connect to the database from the host serving the database?
    Are you using ODBC or Open Client. I don't know whether that's relevant on ASA 6, but it is on later versions.
    If connecting from the host serving the database and you are using ODBC, try checking and unchecking the "Shared memory" option and seeing what difference that makes.
    Is the server listening on the same port as the clients expect it to be (run netstat -a -n and look in the left hand set of IPs and port numbers)

Re: ASA 6.0.3 Connection Problems

Originally posted by richardcrossley
    Is this all clients?
    Can the clients connect to the server in other ways - Windows networking, telnet etc?
    Can you connect to the database from the host serving the database?
    Are you using ODBC or Open Client. I don't know whether that's relevant on ASA 6, but it is on later versions.
    If connecting from the host serving the database and you are using ODBC, try checking and unchecking the "Shared memory" option and seeing what difference that makes.
    Is the server listening on the same port as the clients expect it to be (run netstat -a -n and look in the left hand set of IPs and port numbers)
    Connections were made using ODBC over Tcp/Ip. They allways work on the host serving the database. I explicit named the same port for Server and Clients, no result. I'll try your hint about shared memory and will post result under same topic, thank you, tonie

Sorry, but disabling/enabling 'Shared Memory' doesn't influence the connection bug. Have no idea, what you mean with connections about windows-networking or telnet in this meaning, Tonie
    Last edited by tonie; 08-01-03 at 10:53.

Originally posted by tonie
    Sorry, but disabling/enabling 'Shared Memory' doesn't influence the connection bug. Have no idea, what you mean with connections about windows-networking or telnet in this meaning, Tonie
    If your ASA is listening on port 2468 then try telnetting to that part

telnet hostname 2468

If there is something listening telnet will probably hang, if not you'll get something like "connection refused"

Windows networking: Can you connect to a share on the host from within windows:

For example:
    Start->Run
    \\hostname\c$

I'm just suggesting ways of validating the machine is accessible.