Unanswered: Credit vs Invoice

Hi

I am developing a system in AccessXP and am thinking about how to deal with customer accounts. There must be a facility for credit notes to be created and held against a customer. Is it best to create a seperate CREDIT table, ot to use negative invoices in the already created INVOICE table?

Any thoughs would be appreciated

Provided Answers: 5
    Seperate tables, a client may be using more than one credit card over time and you do not want to add additional columns for each card in the customer table.

I've created a similar system, I have a field called "invoice type" in the invoice table in which one of the options is "credit" and this works fine. I don't see any benefit in creating a seperate credit table
    Access XP & WinXP Pro

Thanks for the idea, sound good and will gove it a try!

I have designed inventory displacement and invoicing systems as a career for almost twenty years, and if one has the rare pleasure of designing something from scratch, then they should do it right.

You always program for the oddities and the exceptions not the rulles.

If you do this the you take into account everything

Your client table relates to an invoice table for each transaction.
    within the invoice table you may "check" credit, but then you should have a anther table that stores client_id, inv_No, and the card_type, card_NO, exp_Date - etc,.

If you start storing everything in one table you might as well use Excel.

Please take the time to do it right - you be happy you did.

I am not "slamming" Xander - I think he probably stores CC numbers somewhere other than the invoice table - remember there are security implications in CC numbers and not everyone having acces to an invoice should see the numbers.

I don't think that nstaward was refering to Credit Cards. Credit notes are "refunds"
    Last edited by xander; 08-01-03 at 12:52.
    Access XP & WinXP Pro

I don't think that nstaward was refering to Credit Cards. Credit notes are "refunds"
    Thats right, sorry axsprog I think we got our wire crossed. Appreciate your help though

too much coffee for me today.
    Plus I quit smoking last friday - so i am a bit jumpy

One of our existing systems places the credits in the inbvoice table here - I personally do not like this as statistically you cannot determine true sales , cost per sales, etc - but for simplicity and up and run time - it is acceptable

sorry xander