Unanswered: checking multiple processor utilization

How can I check whether my DB2 Databse is utilizing all four processors on my Windows NT Server?
    I am using DB2 EE and need to recommend some hardware upgrades to my organizations, but prior to that I need to give some hard facts on the utilization of databse by the quad processors on my server. Is there a query command or utility or performance monitor object which would let me know as to whether all four processors are getting used for by the DB2 application or only one of the processor is getting used?

THanks

Re: checking multiple processor utilization

You can use the application snapshot to monitor whether multiple agents are used to satisfy your request ... If so, on a multiprocessor machine, you can expect these subagents to use different processors ...

For a application to use multiple processors you should have already enabled parallelism

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by gshankar
    How can I check whether my DB2 Databse is utilizing all four processors on my Windows NT Server?
    I am using DB2 EE and need to recommend some hardware upgrades to my organizations, but prior to that I need to give some hard facts on the utilization of databse by the quad processors on my server. Is there a query command or utility or performance monitor object which would let me know as to whether all four processors are getting used for by the DB2 application or only one of the processor is getting used?

THanks
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Parallelism?? Sorry for asking this , but am unaware of it. How do we enable this? Is it OS related or application related? Is it a feature of DB2?

GOvind..

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    You can use the application snapshot to monitor whether multiple agents are used to satisfy your request ... If so, on a multiprocessor machine, you can expect these subagents to use different processors ...

For a application to use multiple processors you should have already enabled parallelism

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Extract from 'DB2 Advanced Admin - Certfication Guide' (this chapter is available online)

There are two types of query parallelism that are available with DB2 UDB:
    inter-query parallelism and intra-query parallelism.
    Inter-query parallelism refers to the ability of multiple applications to query a database at the
    same time. Each query will execute independently of the others, but DB2 UDB will execute
    them at the same time.
    Intra-query parallelism refers to the ability to break a single query into a number of pieces
    and replicate them at the same time using either intra-partition parallelism or inter-partition parallelism, or both.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.